stainless steel tumbling

more info please
what cartridge for the brass, what tumbler, what tumbling fluid, how long per batch are you tumbling, how many batches per day are you tumbling and why are you tumbling brass with pennies?

more info please
what cartridge for the brass, what tumbler, what tumbling fluid, how long per batch are you tumbling, how many batches per day are you tumbling and why are you tumbling brass with pennies?
frankford arsenals
more info please
Frankford arsenals hot water dawn dish soap 85 reds of 7mm saum and a few pennies just to shine them up

You should change the water, soap and LemiShine every time you tumble a batch of cases. The black water is the carbon removed from the cases.

The amount of soap can vary by your water hardness. If the water at the end of the tumbling time does not feel soapy you need to add more soap at the start of tumbling. The soap holds the dirt in suspension and from clinging to the cases.

I have a STM tumbler with a rubber liner and some of the blackness can come from a rubber liner. My directions tell me to tumble the new pins by themselves to wear down their sharp ends so the pins do not scratch the brass. My directions also say nothing about adding copper plated aluminum pennies with my cases. ;)

Note, in a sonic cleaner the water also turns black from removing the carbon with vibrating water molecules with dish soap and LemiShine.

Last edited:
You should change the water, soap and LemiShine every time you tumble a batch of cases. The black water is the carbon removed from the cases.

The amount of soap can vary by your water hardness. If the water at the end of the tumbling time does not feel soapy you need to add more soap at the start of tumbling. The soap holds the dirt in suspension and from clinging to the cases.

I have a STM tumbler with a rubber liner and some of the blackness can come from a rubber liner. My directions tell me to tumble the new pins by themselves to wear down their sharp ends so the pins do not scratch the brass. My directions also say nothing about adding copper plated aluminum pennies with my cases. ;)

Note, in a sonic cleaner the water also turns black from removing the carbon with vibrating water molecules with dish soap and LemiShine.
I've tumbled the same brass for two weeks I know it comes out black it's that it never took this long to finish

Normally if your cases are not clean enough after two hours of wet tumbling you are doing something wrong.

If you tumble longer you will have case mouth peening and add more problems.

Start over and leave the pennies out of the tumbler and use dish washing soap and LemiShine.

I've tumbled the same brass for two weeks I know it comes out black it's that it never took this long to finish
you tumbled the same batch of brass for 336 hours straight through? is there any brass left?

I think we are misunderstanding something.

as far as the FART drum-- it is rubber lined, if you use the wrong mixture of solvents it can start to decompose the rubber interior-- as per their instructions you should only use their brass cleaning solution ( 4 cap fulls per drum) to be safe

when i clean old range pick up brass the rubber in the drum can have some contaminants that cling to it and I just run the cleaning solution and pins in clean water a few times to clean the "muck" out of it

I'd say the most common step to start on REALLY dirty brass (range/suppressed firing) should be simply water, stainless media, and the brass. I always use the entirety of my pins, my brass and then I add just enough water to fill up over the brass and media. If a second cleaning is required, I will do it. My 2nd cleaning will be dawn dish soap (just a small squirt) and a large pinch of LemiShine. I usually only run it for 1.5-2 hours at a time and it always comes out super clean.

If the brass is clean but fired, I just skip right to dawn and lemishine,

you tumbled the same batch of brass for 336 hours straight through? is there any brass left?

I think we are misunderstanding something.

as far as the FART drum-- it is rubber lined, if you use the wrong mixture of solvents it can start to decompose the rubber interior-- as per their instructions you should only use their brass cleaning solution ( 4 cap fulls per drum) to be safe

when i clean old range pick up brass the rubber in the drum can have some contaminants that cling to it and I just run the cleaning solution and pins in clean water a few times to clean the "muck" out of it

Agreed, after that much time in a tumbler shouldn't be any usable brass left. Brass should be very clean after 1 1/2 hours with the standard 5# of pins, Lemishine and Dawn.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.