Stability Question

aaroncarp

I posted a thread a few months ago about what bullets to shoot from my 1:12" 22-250 for deer and wolves. Then archery season started so I never hit the range. I chose to try some 65grn Sierra Gamekings because I had read a lot of good things about them. However they recommend a 1:10" barrel. Anyways I loaded some up, I knew I would need to have them hot if I was hoping to have them stabilize from the slower barrel. Started at 34 grains of imr 4064 and worked my way up by half grain increments to 36 grains. I put a half inch group down range with 35.5 grains at 100yards. So I decided to not even shoot the 36 grains because I was already pretty hot.

My question is, how much do I need to worry about this load staying stable out to 3-400 yards? Should I worry about the precision of the load if I have a deer at 300? I would love to keep shooting at the range but, the more time I spend there, the less time I get to spend hunting.

I have been shooting 69 grain SMK's from my 1:12 22-250 with good results. Range won't be a controlling factor in stability. The thing to keep your eye on is temperature. Consult an online stability calculator and you will see what I mean. As the temp falls, so will your stability factor. If the bullet being used was marginally stable in warmer temps, it may not stabilize in the cold.

I've been playing the the stability calculator on the Berger website (trying to decide on a new bullet for my 7mm-08), maybe give it a try? Input all your data, then drop the temp to see the changes.
Don't know how accurate the program actually is, but puts up a bit of info. Optimal twist, alternate bullets, etc

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.