Stability Calculator Questions

GF300

To start off I am new to this forum so this topic may have been covered elsewhere and I haven't realized it yet but I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 Win. Mag. and I am currently running 200gr. Hornady ELD-X's (1.53" long; B.C. of .597/.626) out of it however I am wanting to switch to the 212gr. ELD-X (1.60" long; B.C. of .673) because the jump in B.C. would be worth the minimal loss in velocity. I have tried using two stability calculators and am getting different results though and I don't know which to trust. If I use the Berger Stability Calculator it informs me that the 1:10" twist is not enough to stabilize the 212gr. ELD-X saying that it could be accurate but I would lose some value in the B.C. which wouldn't make the switch worth it. However if I use JBM Ballistics stability calculator it informs me that the 1:10" twist is plenty enough to stabilize the 212gr ELD-X. So if any of you have experience with the 212gr ELD-X in a 300 Win. Mag. or know which calculator I should base a decision off of any advice would be appreciated?

I think you will be fine with the 212's being stable. The only way to know for sure is test it. Work up a load with the 212's and check your drops against the 200's. I don't trust ballistic calculators to much there a place to get started but there's nothing like real world testing.

Believe Berger.
And they're not suggesting the 212 was not stable in 10:1.
They're informing you about a marginal stability condition/price.
Better to go with the truth, than to seek what you want to hear.

I think you will be fine with the 212's being stable. The only way to know for sure is test it. Work up a load with the 212's and check your drops against the 200's. I don't trust ballistic calculators to much there a place to get started but there's nothing like real world testing.
Yeah I agree on the ballistic calculators, found out the 200 Eld-x seems to have a higher B.C. than advertised which is already high, not complaining but I have to do some guess work and more playing to figure it out. I may go ahead and buy a box of the 212's to try out.

The Miller formula that accounts for the plastic tip will get you the best answer. Berger's will get you close, and for all intents and purposes will work, but you may not be giving up as much BC as the Berger calculator suggests.

The Miller formula that accounts for the plastic tip will get you the best answer. Berger's will get you close, and for all intents and purposes will work, but you may not be giving up as much BC as the Berger calculator suggests.

Agree. You'll gain a lot more BC using the 212 than Berger implies you might lose with a less than optimally twisted barrel.

The plastic tip on the bullet will reduce the barrel twist requirement, and Bryan Litz doesn't embrace that within the Berger twist rate equations.

If the 212s shoot with equal precision from your rifle, use them.

My Hornady 10th ed. reloading book tested the 212 ELD-Xs in 1:10". What information are you using, i.e. ...

zqjktwq.jpg

rq28aqB.jpg

Yeah I'm in Missouri so the elevations I'm hunting in are anywhere from 450-800ft so the Berger calculator shows it in the marginal stability section. If I were in higher elevations that would clearly help. I guess the adjusted B.C. is still high enough to try it which I didn't realize when I plugged the numbers in, I was also worried about the accuracy too though but I do believe I'll end up giving them a try.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.