Springfield Waypoint bad groups troubleshoot help?

The rifle is on its way back to Springfield. I spoke to one of their tech guys in the repair department, and he said that there is no reason the gun should shoot that poorly with the Norma match ammo.
Amen!

I would like to see an example of where someone said that one "can't get a rifle that shoots sub moa for less than several thousand"

I don't know that I have ever seen that claimed on here.
Perhaps not in those exact words; but many have said you are less likely to get a rifle that shoots Sub-MOA unless you pay more. And that may very well be true with the cheaper rifle brands that they have had direct experience with. But the factory rifles of today are not the same as the factory rifles of even a few years ago.

Since the Waypoint is a pretty new model, it may be that they let one slip by them or it may be that this model still has some glitches to be worked out.

Let's wait and see what the rifle will do after Springfield sends it back. For that price, they should certainly make it right. I would feel terrible if I spent over $2,000 on a rifle and it could not shoot somewhere near as well as my $429.00 6.5 Creedmoor! Hopefully Springfield will come through and get that rifle below what they guarantee for that rifle.

Unless he destroyed the scope by using a leadsled. I see it all the time.

With cartridges like a Creedmoor even? I've never used a sled. Shoot some heavy hitters, but I try to do as much shooting from field related positions s possible.

Not that I doubt that a fair amount of accuracy problems are actually scope/scope mounting issues. I've worked with a few rigs that "wouldn't shoot" and then all of a sudden came alive when tried with an established scope that was mounted properly.

Certain brands seem to get mentioned in these types of problem threads more than others.

Unless he destroyed the scope by using a leadsled. I see it all the time.
The 12 out of 120+ rounds I fired through the lead sled are not the cause or reason for the poor grouping. The rifle didn't perform any better or worse in the sled, and I also tried another optic after the sled—still no change in performance. Please read some of the prior posts!

Glad to here they promptly agreed to make it right. I am curious to see whether they fix it and tell you what was wrong or provide you with a new serialized rifle.
The Springfield repair tech made it sound like the odds of a new rifle are very low. He said whenever they come in for lousy accuracy they typically fix the issue, "refinish" the rifle (whatever that means), and send it back.

The Springfield repair tech made it sound like the odds of a new rifle are very low. He said whenever they come in for lousy accuracy they typically fix the issue, "refinish" the rifle (whatever that means), and send it back.

I guess so long as they make it right. All's well that ends well.

Please keep us updated on how they take care of you. I was glad to read that they offered to take it back and give it a look.

I am just interpreting your info the best I can. FACT: Gun shot great for 100 rounds. Then wont shoot a 4 inch group at 200 yards with no change in ammo used. 6.5 Creedmoors are the easiest and most forgiving guns to data for long range. My thoughts are something happened outside of the gun. Take everything off the gun and put new bases and rings back on, test it again for accuracy with any scope of your choice, then if all else fails send in back to Springfield. As Starbuck says Please let us all know what the problem is in the gun.

I am just interpreting your info the best I can. FACT: Gun shot great for 100 rounds. Then wont shoot a 4 inch group at 200 yards with no change in ammo used. 6.5 Creedmoors are the easiest and most forgiving guns to data for long range. My thoughts are something happened outside of the gun. Take everything off the gun and put new bases and rings back on, test it again for accuracy with any scope of your choice, then if all else fails send in back to Springfield. As Starbuck says Please let us all know what the problem is in the gun.
I think you may have misread the first post! Gun didn't perform during the first 100 rounds shot off the bag. No biggie.

I'll follow up when Springfield lets me know what happened to it!

Hi all,

I just took my new Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 with the carbon barrel to the range for the first time this weekend... Not impressed! For a gun that guarantees 0.75 MOA, my example was hovering around 1.5 MOA. This is after 100 rounds of Norma 143 Match ammo. Not a good showing when my 16" Scar 17 was consistently putting down 0.75 MOA in between my Springfield frustration!
View attachment 362395View attachment 362396View attachment 362397
I took it to an indoor 100-yard range today to try out some different ammo. These god-awful groups were shot with Aguila 140gr—the only other stuff I could find. Not match ammo, but not bad ammo. I shot 3 groups between 1.5 to 5+ MOA. All shots at this session were made using a lead sled to limit possible human error. On the 5+ MOA group, I'm inclined to think it was just a flyer, but the shot didn't feel like any issues on my end.
View attachment 362398View attachment 362399View attachment 362400

At this point, I doubt it's ammo. At the range, I checked the scope rings at the range and mount—all were at the same torque spec I initially tightened them down to.

I suspect that the free-floating (or lack thereof) may be the issue. Everything looks good from the outside, but it's possible the barrel is coming into contact with the stock during firing.

I took the barreled action off the stock and found what looks like the slightest bit of rubbing. It's very hard to capture this on camera, but there is a very slight rub mark right along where the forend sits. The carbon sheen really covers it up.
View attachment 362401

Could this be the culprit? Is this worth sending it back to Springfield for their warranty fix? Or would y'all find a gunsmith to diagnose the issue first?
I had the same issue with my 6.5 PRC can you please update us on what happened?