Springfield Waypoint bad groups troubleshoot help?

TurboD

Hi all,

I just took my new Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 with the carbon barrel to the range for the first time this weekend... Not impressed! For a gun that guarantees 0.75 MOA, my example was hovering around 1.5 MOA. This is after 100 rounds of Norma 143 Match ammo. Not a good showing when my 16" Scar 17 was consistently putting down 0.75 MOA in between my Springfield frustration!
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 11:23:03.763043.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 11:22:05.667903.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 11:21:02.415013.jpg

I took it to an indoor 100-yard range today to try out some different ammo. These god-awful groups were shot with Aguila 140gr—the only other stuff I could find. Not match ammo, but not bad ammo. I shot 3 groups between 1.5 to 5+ MOA. All shots at this session were made using a lead sled to limit possible human error. On the 5+ MOA group, I'm inclined to think it was just a flyer, but the shot didn't feel like any issues on my end.
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 10:53:59.321583.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 10:52:48.488605.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 10:54:56.718636.PNG

At this point, I doubt it's ammo. At the range, I checked the scope rings at the range and mount—all were at the same torque spec I initially tightened them down to.

I suspect that the free-floating (or lack thereof) may be the issue. Everything looks good from the outside, but it's possible the barrel is coming into contact with the stock during firing.

I took the barreled action off the stock and found what looks like the slightest bit of rubbing. It's very hard to capture this on camera, but there is a very slight rub mark right along where the forend sits. The carbon sheen really covers it up.
IMG_3773.jpg

Could this be the culprit? Is this worth sending it back to Springfield for their warranty fix? Or would y'all find a gunsmith to diagnose the issue first?

I was loading for a Waypoint 2021 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It wouldn't shoot at all and was very erratic with grouping. I finally took the scope off and put my nightforce on there and it shot 1/2" groups. I was using a Leupold VX5HD. Sent it back to leupold and one of the lenses inside was loose and moving. They fixed it and sent it back to me on Friday. Havnt gotten to remount it yet.

I was loading for a Waypoint 2021 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It wouldn't shoot at all and was very erratic with grouping. I finally took the scope off and put my nightforce on there and it shot 1/2" groups. I was using a Leupold VX5HD. Sent it back to leupold and one of the lenses inside was loose and moving. They fixed it and sent it back to me on Friday. Havnt gotten to remount it yet.
I've seen scopes do this before and why I suggested the OP try a different one just to make sure.

The rifle passes the dollar bill test. I can even fit two bills in there!

My initial 100 rounds were shot without the lead sled; the last couple groups were shot with the lead sled. Gun performed just about the same with and without the lead sled.

I have a Leupold Mk5 HD with a Spuhr on the rifle. I'll try it with my Leupold Mk6 soon. This is the first time I shoot with this scope, so it's possible the scope is the problem. At the same time, it's quality glass and shouldn't be the problem!

How long did Leupold take to fix it and send it back to you?