springfield scopes

Wi whitetail

has anyone had any experience with the springfield armory scopes that have rangefinding reticles for the 308. does this system work? also what kind of quality and dependability do they have?
thanks-wiwhitetail

I can't speak for that particular brand of scope, but I do have an opinion about ballistics data on scope reticles.

Since ballistics conditions change based on environmental conditions such as humidity, temperature and altitude, and even from one lot of ammunition to the next, this approach doesn't make good sense in general.

A better approach is to verify and or calibrate the knobs on you scope to verify that they accurately displace the values they are calibrated for. Do you indeed get .25 moa per click or .5 moa or whatever?
(This can be checked by putting a measured target out at 100 yards and firing rounds, etc from a rest.)

Once this is verified, you may then generate from one of the available ballistics program a come up chart for the local conditions and bullet BC and mv.

Then as conditions change, you may generate accurate and reliable comeup charts for variable conditions.

A happy and successful method from my experience.

D.
smile.gif

[ 06-21-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.