Spring Bear 2024

Thank you, I might take the 257 Blackbird, if I can get done with the load with the 163gr chinchagas
Dang it, Brother! I am lagging; I might stop load development on the 145 BHs and jump into the 163 CCs when they arrive.

Tracking says it will be here tomorrow.

Last edited:
I want to use my new .308. I'm just not confident with a load yet though.
I have taken three black bears I was a resident in WA state. The first was a small black bear with a .308 Win and 165 Accubond at 100 yds. I wasn't impressed. The bear ran 50 yards into a thicket of choke cherries. It expired shortly but I did not relish wading into the thicket to retrieve it. The other two bears were taken with a 300 WM at 200 yards and they went nowhere. Shot placement on all three was right behind the shoulder.

I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot a bear with a 308 Win if that is what I was carrying while deer hunting. I plan on using either my 6.5 SAUM or 7 PRC this spring when I'm specifically looking for bear.

Planning on taking the afternoon of the opener in MT off, being a Monday. I look forward to spring bear, been after it for a about 4 seasons now so hopefully we can put a couple on the ground this season between my buddies and I. Also pretty excited Montana extended some of the hunt unit season dates till June 15. My uncle has one on video showing up on his property the last 3 years in June. My 300 win is itching to get some more blood on it.

As per usual (since spring of 82) I'll be out and hiking around and glassing. Love watching them, been around a ton load of dead one's. We still go armed but we're going to pass on 99% of what we see.

I absolutely love everything to do with bruins!

My brother in bruins Reemty is of the same ilk that's why we get along so well:)

Side note, as per usual spring won't have a lot going on until May13th give or take. Doesn't mean one can't find one or so but it's a tough go for the most part early on. Most hit it hard out of the gate and burn out long B4 it gets good which is fine with me as it just reduces the number of people out looking. .....(g)

There's only a couple places in the state where I know I could go look at bruins on the opener.

Either way, it's great getting the exercise in (just got in from our daily walk, at 65 we need to work a bit harder than we did many sleeps ago)

Planning on taking the afternoon of the opener in MT off, being a Monday. I look forward to spring bear, been after it for a about 4 seasons now so hopefully we can put a couple on the ground this season between my buddies and I. Also pretty excited Montana extended some of the hunt unit season dates till June 15. My uncle has one on video showing up on his property the last 3 years in June. My 300 win is itching to get some more blood on it.

And yes, after years of myself and many others working it FWP has finally listened and is keeping more areas open until June 15th which is a huge victory for us bruin chasers. Now....if they'd back up the opener until May 7th or May 15th in some of the areas.....:)then they'd have something

I have taken three black bears I was a resident in WA state. The first was a small black bear with a .308 Win and 165 Accubond at 100 yds. I wasn't impressed. The bear ran 50 yards into a thicket of choke cherries. It expired shortly but I did not relish wading into the thicket to retrieve it. The other two bears were taken with a 300 WM at 200 yards and they went nowhere. Shot placement on all three was right behind the shoulder.

I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot a bear with a 308 Win if that is what I was carrying while deer hunting. I plan on using either my 6.5 SAUM or 7 PRC this spring when I'm specifically looking for bear.
Same projectile from the two different rifles?

308 with 165 Accu's is about as good as a bear load as you're going to find!

Side note, here's a short list of the rounds I've seen used on bruins over the years:

22/250
Swift
6/06
25/06
6.5/06
7 Mashburn Super
7 STW
30 Gibbs
340 Wby
416 Rigby
Archery

Probably missed a few, but this is a goodly share of the list. They'll all work, just get your first poke in the right place from the get go. If you screw up and get in a poor hit, IME you'll most likely not recover the bruin. I am not in anyway shape or form a fan of shooting at bruins much beyond 300 yds for this reason.

Opener in MT is 4/15. I hope to get out! Stupid work is trying to get in the way though.

Anyone else going?
My oldest Son and I have two different 5 day hunts planned in May. Spot and stock him with 270 wsm and if conditions (wind) and terrain are favorable I will try to stalk within range for a recurve bow shot. If not I will have to see how much my Son likes me and lests me use his WSM. :)
At least one of those if not both trips we will be hunting off our backs and hopefully away from others.
We started doing these spring bear hunts about three seasons ago now and really do enjoy them.
This is my 2021 bear. Struck out last season and my Son loaded with all the boned out meat. Speaking of meat, it does not get much better than spring Bear!

Attachments

• 20220530_092134.jpg
    20220530_092134.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220530_095812.jpg
    20220530_095812.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 74
Some areas you can but the area I got is no dogs or bait
We hunt an area in the ID panhandle that is no hounds. Makes for a better spot and stalk that's for sure.
Nothing against hound hunting. That is a rush also. My best friend has good dogs but I just like trying to get out and away in the high country.

Recent Posts