Spring Bear Idaho

Are there any knowns as to what bears come out of dens first?

Is it like mom and cubs come out first, that way boars that are out don't just sniff out dens and kill them, they can get out, get down to the lowland with brush and get to cover and trees.

Or do big boars get out first for some evolutionary reason...?

Do we know what bears will get out of dens the earliest? Maybe there isn't a differentiation between old, young, male or female...

Not looking for conjecture, actually wondering if this has been studied and if there is a general pattern.

If it were that big boars came out earliest, that'd be when I'd look to hunt, there may be fewer bears, but they'll be easier to spot and should have good coats.
I have read that males come out first because of increasing testosterone levels. Next, the sows without cubs emerge and finally, the sows with cubs come out. I don't know that I have ever read anything about the expected intervals between the different groups coming out of hibernation.

The bear rut ramps up late May and peaks in mid-Late June. That's why so many people say hold off on hunting the first part of the season. You will see more bears due to increased activity especially the bigger males.
I don't think it has to do with who wakes up in what order.

Kris

For me though personally it was something I wondered as I wouldn't mind going as early as possible, I die in heat, almost been killed enough times from heat stroke.

I can't stand over 75, I'd rather be in 30 or 40 below than 75+ Fahrenheit. Northern MN and my winter thermostat settings sit between 56-58, even when it's 20 or so below outside.

So if the boars are going to get out early, that may be my best time to shine. I'm a caller too, it's why I hunt, if there is a possibility I would have less chance of a female coming in, especially since she may tree her cubs before coming in, that's also a big plus, I'd be wrecked to end up with a female with cubs.

So if boars will come out first, getting out early would not only help with temp, but would help keep me from being in a situation where I may call in a female that treed cubs. I run hand calls/diaphragms, what I call in comes right at me, you don't always have a moment to ask what gender something wants to be that day.

I've not experienced really warm weather for spring bear. You could get rain or snow easier than you will high heat. Also you are better off hunkering down and glassing rather than hiking around all day. Pretty easy to avoid heat when you are under a tree or rock.

Calling is something a buddy and I are going to try and get into this year. Probably more for fall season. We plan to glass them up and move in before Calling. That way we know we are shooting what we want.

Kris

I've not experienced really warm weather for spring bear. You could get rain or snow easier than you will high heat. Also you are better off hunkering down and glassing rather than hiking around all day. Pretty easy to avoid heat when you are under a tree or rock.

Calling is something a buddy and I are going to try and get into this year. Probably more for fall season. We plan to glass them up and move in before Calling. That way we know we are shooting what we want.

Kris
I have never called predators before, but I think I might learn how for this hunt.

Unless it's a typo you might want to reconsider the dates you are looking at.
I don't think it opens until April 15th. I personally wouldn't go until mid May or early June if only making 1 trip.

Kris
I was thinking that too, but just checked. 21A is one of the few units that do open on the 1st; most units in Idaho don't open until the 15th though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.