DIY Spring Idaho Black Bear...questions

jballeau1689

Originally from upstate NY, currently stationed in
After 4 years in the USMC I'm getting out and heading home. Ive missed every hunting season since '09 due to being deployed overseas or training exercises and now I finally have a chance to do what Ive missed most. Ill be driving through Idaho mid-late April and want to do a spring black bear hunt. Im looking at Units 10 & 12 due to the amount of bears harvested year after year. I talked to a game warden who's pointing me towards those two units as well, plus everything I've read on forums. Today i ordered maps from Idaho fish and game and the bureau of land management, and U.S. Forest Service for those two units. According to what Ive read, this time may be a little early but this is the time I have available and am going to make the best of it. I want to do a spot and stalk while I'm here, I don't mind hiking all day and covering ground, maybe a little calling for fun; already preparing for weather, snow conditions and such. I'm interested in camping and working from there, or continuously moving camp. Im looking for anyone that can give me any hints, information, or what to expect. Seeing that all I have are maps and unit numbers, if theres anyone that could help narrow down the massive amount of land to a more precise location would be a huge help. Any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Justin

Look for glades and clearcuts on Google Earth. The bears will come out in the afternoons to graze on the fresh spring grass. Plan your hunts to be near roads so you can either glass from the road or take some walks into areas with good visibility. Have plenty of routes planned so that if it's too snowy in one area you can go elsewhere. Sorry I cant be of more help but I generally hunt in unit 6 to the north. Thats what I would do.

Cross

Also look for bluffs with grass around them I've seen a lot of bears in the spring feeding on grass on top of bluffs. The last time I hunted that area a lot of it wasn't posted. They started posting a lot of it so I don't really have any advice as to where nowadays

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.