Spotting scopes

Elk Crazy

I watched a video recently saying that the vortex razor vs viper line of spotting scopes were pretty much the same and they couldn't see the difference but wanted to get an opinion from guys who actually hunt. Which was kind of crazy to me because I know there's a big difference between the viper and razor line for the binos so I wanted to hear your guy's opinion

There's guys that don't differentiate between the Vortex razor HDs and the UHD binos. The HDs are less the. 10% better than the Viper Gen 2s. The UHDs are significantly better but the price reflects.

The spotting scopes are different. Talking specifically about the current gen spotters, the razor will have better color, and clarity as you approach max magnification. The vipers will also have a little chromatic aberration, if that bothers you.

For dudes on a budget, I don't think you'll ever ruin a hunt by using the Viper anything. They work, and they are a tremendous value. That said, when you are spending the extra money on glass, you're paying for the minuscule details. 50% more in cost doesn't equal 50% increase in performance when talking about mid range to higher end optics.

I will say this about spotters. And binos.
I used to have a Meopta S2 spotter and 15x56s.
I bought a set of Swaro 15x56s. During midday, there is not a ton of difference. A little, but the Meopta was probably 95% of the Swaro SLC.
During the last 30 minutes of the first day, the Swaros made the decision of buying them all worth while. Looking towards the west just after sunset, the Meoptas would show a nearly black mountainside. Even with snow and Ponderosa Pines. The Swaros allowed the contrast to stand out, and I was picking up bulls coming out of the timber.
The same can be said for spotters. I went from Meopta to Swaro, and again, would never go back.

I realize not everyone can or will spend for the big ticket items. But, buy the best glass you can. Even if it means saving an extra year to do so.

If you can't see the difference between a Viper and Razor you either have amazingly poor eyesight or amazingly great eyesight, I'm not sure which.

Some buddies and I got together to compare spotting scopes side by side at 1300yrds....The scopes were Kowa TSN-883 Prominar...NF TS82(Meopta)....Vortex Razor...........it was pretty much a wash between the Kowa and the NF with the slight edge going to the NF. For dollars spent the Razor did very well........Nothing I've seen compares to the Swaro BTX.

If you can't see the difference between a Viper and Razor you either have amazingly poor eyesight or amazingly great eyesight, I'm not sure which.

Some buddies and I got together to compare spotting scopes side by side at 1300yrds....The scopes were Kowa TSN-883 Prominar...NF TS82(Meopta)....Vortex Razor...........it was pretty much a wash between the Kowa and the NF with the slight edge going to the NF. For dollars spent the Razor did very well........Nothing I've seen compares to the Swaro BTX.
Which is why...
20210212_100608.jpg

This buck is 3.1 miles away.
20210212_092203.jpg

This buck is only 881 yards
20210212_111630.jpg