Spotting scope recommendations?

GetReel

Looking to get a spotting scope and tripod setup. Would like to stay under $1,500 total but not afraid of spending more if it's worth it. I'll be using these for backpacking as well as at the range.

A vortex viper and a Chinese carbon fiber tripod will probably be good enough. You can always upgrade the tripod later, but you don't want to be spending $1000 on a rrs tripod and $500 on a spotter obviously.

I did a bunch of research a few years ago and it came down to the Vortex and Kowa.
I purchased the Kowa Prominar TSN-773, 25x - 60x.
It has been excellent. Bright and colorful.
Remember that eye pieces are separate from the bodies.
Cost about $1800 for all. I put it on my 1950's aluminum tripod that has a lot of miles on it, but is better than most of the Chicom crap out there.
Stick with the angled bodies, and don't spend extra for the 90X magnifier attachment. You will rarely use it unless you are looking at the stars.

Looking to get a spotting scope and tripod setup. Would like to stay under $1,500 total but not afraid of spending more if it's worth it. I'll be using these for backpacking as well as at the range.
6 months ago Midway was selling the Nighforce TS 80 for $1,094. Most distributors are still getting $1,600. Would be nice if you can find the same deal.

I bought a Kowa 884-TSN with a 25x-60x zoom eyepiece several years ago. Well beyond the $1500.00 limit but this is an excellent spotter you probably won't outgrow. However, it may be too bulky and heavy for some users.

First off I don't own a spotting scope of any quality (cheap leupold i use at the range). I have looked and handled lots I just cant get past the weight of the spotter and tri-pod maybe I'm just getting old and finicky about it. I have a gun built and try to save weight cause I know it wont pack itself into the mountains. Then I have to add way more then I saved on rifle weight into a pack to carry with me. I can see it some places hunting then I think well my scope is 25X and i know not to use it as the spotter and I do not. Many times though I have seen a deer through my binoculars and then used my rifle scope to decide if it is a big enough buck/bull/bear or not. I guess if i could find a decent weight one I would be ok but the big name brands seem to weigh a good bit. Maybe I am wrong and I haven't handled the right spotting scopes. So I am following this thread.

I have a Vortex Viper but would only recommend it if you're on a tight budget. The glass isn't the clearest but the Vortex warranty is great. It fell over one trip and broke in half. Vortex repaired it for free. With that said, I'm saving up for a Swaro.
This is a really good tripod for the price. Light, quiet and sturdy.

Neewer Carbon Fiber Tripod

I might be a minority here, but I am not happy with Vortex glass. Not after I had side by side with Leica. I know its much more expensive...

I'm with you on vortex, it's ok. However that being said, I have the 16-48 razor and it's great for backpacking. Some days I wish I had a little more but for hunting it gets the job done and didn't break the bank.

Another vote for Kowa! I did a lot of research, and found Kowa brand spotters are one of the leading brands used in long range shooting competitions. I bought the 77mm scope to balance performance and portability, and have no regrets.

BTW, I just upgraded my eyepiece to the 25-60x, and have listed my 25x wide angle eyepiece in the classifieds.

I'm with you on vortex, it's ok. However that being said, I have the 16-48 razor and it's great for backpacking. Some days I wish I had a little more but for hunting it gets the job done and didn't break the bank.
Razor is good quality. I use the 4.5×27×56 Gen II on my Weatherby