Spotting Scope Recommendations For Hunting & Shooting?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Brydawg512, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:31 PM.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Brydawg512

Brydawg512 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I am looking for some spotting scope recommendations. I would like this scope to be capable of clearly identifying the number of points on a deer/elk at 600 yards (about as far as I would shoot at an animal). Also, I would like to be able to see impacts on targets out to about 1,000 yards if possible.

My budget is fairly tight, $400 or so being about my top end. I had looked at the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 online -- what are your thoughts? Please give me your recommendations! Scope power/Obj. Diameter recommendations, brands, specific models, etc.!

Thank you all in advance!

2. muleskinner1

muleskinner1 Well-Known Member

I have been researching scopes for quite some time now. My advice don't get in a hurry and it will pay off.

3. Mram10us

Mram10us Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I’d look for something used. Lots of nice used spotters out there for that price

4. Brydawg512

Note taken.. now, what magnification power shower I be looking at? I'm unclear on this part.

5. muleskinner1

muleskinner1 Well-Known Member

You need to study Linear Field of View and Exit Pupil and magnification will be clearer for you IMO.

Brydawg512 likes this.
  6. Plinker147

Plinker147 Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for in optics, for $400 your not going to get much quality. The more Magnification the more you need quality. Look a Razor 11-33 or Luepold in the $4-600 range. They are descent glass and will work for the distance you mentioned. If it were me I would save more and buy better but its not me..........

Peddler 76 and Calhntr like this.
  7. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

Are you going to pack it hunting ? If so what is your weight and size limit ?
    Spotting hits at 600 can be difficult for any spotter depending on conditions, in good conditions I can spot hits on paper at 600 with my compact 16oz Nikon ED50 13-40x but in bad conditions you can't see hits with my Meopta S2 20-60x82mm(~$2,000). You aren't going to get much for $400 but get HD or ED glass for sure. I'm not much of a Vortex fan but their Razor line is descent. Hits on paper at 1,000 is next to impossible but is much easier using a cellphone adapter like what this Viper comes with;
    https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/vortex-viper-hd-15-45×65-spotting-scope-like-new.231144/

Bounce, Calhntr and Brydawg512 like this.
  8. Blancoalex

Blancoalex Member

I have always liked binoculars on good stable tripod. Two eyes are always better for seeing.

Here is my Oberwerk 15x70 ultras on Bogen tripod. I don't carry this when on foot but for going out on the Mule they come along as we see so much better with them.

Get the best glass and solid tripod.

Attached Files:

snox801, Calhntr, jjmp and 1 other person like this.
  9. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

People are always wanting to improve on what they have or don't have , in your case Waite and save up you should spend 3times 400 that will buy you one you'll be happy to keep years down the road , buy once & cry once but then you have it ! , other side of the coin ,buy to cheap and keep replacing what you bought after not to long , this can go on for years and just brings onFrustration, now add up the combined cost of 3 or4 spoting scopes and you could have bought a Way better one from the beginning . I inherited poor eyes I bought a Leica APO Televid 77 angled 20/60 eyepiece , with it I could see 30 caliber bullet holes at 1000 yards in a cheap 10.5 inch white paper plate ,yes what's not a compermize ,65 mm is more packable 85/90 mm is to bulky and heavy , but their make ing them shorter so there is weight savings haven't checked them in a while ,mines still good enuff,big names better reputations .....,cheers

10. Brydawg512

Thank you all for your help!

jjmp likes this.
  11. ducky

ducky Well-Known Member

12. LongProng

LongProng Well-Known Member

If you happen to be a veteran, Vortex is 50% off msrp for the next 10 days or so through ExpertVoice.

13. Bounce

Bounce Active Member

In bad conditions, you're not going to see squat no matter how good your scope is at long range. I happen to love my Meopta cuz it has the FOV and clarity at distance that ranks with the best at a considerably lower price. Not sure I'd want to lug it up to the top of a mountain though.

Brydawg512, Wedgy and jjmp like this.
  14. Brush4646

Brush4646 Well-Known Member

I have a Swift 15x-60x that I have used for forty years from NY to Colorado and it has served me well. I have a window mount and a Lamson tripod to keep it steady. I shoot benchrest at the Super Shoot in Ohio where there are every kind of scope there you can
    look through. Mine isn't as good as the $2500 ones but it isn't bad. You can get one on Ebay for $100 to $200 .