Spotting Scope Recommendations For Hunting & Shooting?

If you get a chance take a look at the Athlon Ares spotter. Not a lot more than your price and very impressive optic. Also spend money on a tripod. A great scope on a cheap tripod will disappoint everyone. A good tripod helps any scope live up to its potential
Found out from Athlon, Ares 15-45-65 ED series older model fixed eyepiece, 15-45x65 UHD newer model interchangeable with a fixed 24x MIL reticle, been looking in that direction myself.

4BAD009C-ED98-432A-840A-C4DF6331468B.jpeg 51A9300C-82BA-4557-891A-EFAD85AE349A.jpeg

51A9300C-82BA-4557-891A-EFAD85AE349A.jpeg

eyepiece

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KW07XM/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Scope

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MIISIQ/?tag=lrhmag19-20

My Pentax. Has a very nice built in sunshade and came with a very nice case. Crystal clear optics. I went with the Vixen zoom eyepiece after reading a "Chuck Hawk" article about it.

Last edited:
Another plug for Pentax Spotting Scopes. I have a PF-80 ED-A with the 20-60x Pentax XW eyepiece that more than exceeds my expectations. I've only used it out to 200 yards at my range and can see good detail of the 25 cal hits on black and white targets. 358 Win hits were very clear. I don't think 300+ yards would be an issue with either caliber.

Probably the best test of the scope so far was just a couple of days ago. I observed a very small winter berry on a tree in the woods behind my house, at a lasered 78 yards. It was overcast morning with heavy mist and I observed (at 60X) a rain drop on one of the berries. I could see a dark spot in the the drop that was a tree in the background. Another berry had nothing behind it and was nearly transparent. Probably not as clear and detailed as a Swaro, Leica, or Kowa scope but it more than meets my needs for target shooting and for occasional use in hunting. For hunting only, I probably would have chosen the PF-65 ED II.

I really like the selection of American standard 1.25 eyepieces available for the Pentax scopes and my get a XW-14 soon. I would highly recommend this mid-priced spotting scope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.