Spotting Scope or Binocs?

skinnyjk

I'll be hunting Idaho's unit 28 next fall, and am trying to decide between a good spotting scope or a good pair of binoculars. We will be backpacking into high country for Elk and mule deer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

While a good spotting scope can be very valuable in deciding if an animal is worth going after, if I was only going to have one or the other I'd pick a good set of binoculars. To me they are handier to carry and use. I will admit when we are hunting the high country we usually carry both. Use the binos to locate and the spotting scope to decide if the animal is worth going after. So maybe part of decision will need to be based on how much detail you wish to know before making the decision on the animal. Just my opinion and what I think works for us. Have a great time and good luck.

I'd never go without good binos. The question should be "just binos or binos and a spotting scope?"

I'll be hunting Idaho's unit 28 next fall, and am trying to decide between a good spotting scope or a good pair of binoculars. We will be backpacking into high country for Elk and mule deer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

My method is not politically correct. The PC crowd will waste their typing time trying to convince me to do it differently. The folks who have trouble with reading comprehension will threaten me with physical violence because I am aiming a rifle at them. With that posted, I will make a suggestion.

I use binoculars for looking for game. If the game is close and I want it I get on it with my scope on its lowest setting and fire. If the game is farther away and needs a closer look I turn up my rifle scope to 24X, if necessary, and take a much better look than the 10X binos afford me.

A spotting scope is probably better, but I don't want the extra weight when I am back packing in.

...If the game is farther away and needs a closer look I turn up my rifle scope to 24X, if necessary, and take a much better look than the 10X binos afford me. A spotting scope is probably better, but I don't want the extra weight when I am back packing in.
I don't see the problem using my rifle scope to inspect an animal that I spotted using a bino. I do not use my riflescope to spot game for obvious reasons.

There is no question in my mind that a good bino is the most versatile and effective spotting optic. I prefer to carry a 6.5-8X bino for hiking, and/or a 15X bino for long distance spotting. I'm no longer willing to hump a spotting scope on a long hike.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/spotting-scope-question-146820/

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.