Spotting scope or Binos

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by cz512wmr, May 7, 2015.

1. cz512wmr

cz512wmr New Member

Hi, hunting Fox and Rabbit out to 300 and maybe 500 yards, would you choose binoculars or spotting scope? Also, what magnification would suffice.
    Cheers

2. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Well-Known Member

Binos for that. Probably 8x, 10x max.

3. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

For something similar I use 15X58 Big Eyes binoculars on a tripod. If I think I found a jackrabbit I can take a closer look through the 4-24X rifle scope.

4. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

Binoculars, hands down. IMO, spotting scopes require too much hardware to be effective in the field for hunting purposes.
    I'd probably want 20x ... but that's a personal choice.
    Best bet is to stop by your local dealer, pick out an object about the size of the game you're hunting at 500 yards and take a look with something he has in stock. You'll know very quickly which suits you best.
    And ..... expect to pay a hefty price for a good pair of binos. I'd expect to pay $600 to $800 (maybe a bit more) for a pair suitable for hunting. The glas is everything. If it's got good glass you can be pretty sure it's got good mechanics.

5. machiavelli

machiavelli Well-Known Member

I use a pair leica 15x56 range finding binoculars to hunt the tops on New Zealand's west coast to hunt Thar it is far easier on the eyes, beats a spotting scope.

6. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Bino's. I use 10 x 42 Zeiss myself.

7. cz512wmr

cz512wmr New Member

Thanks for your responses , gives me a direction to pursue , cheers

8. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Yep, binos any day.

I carry Bushnell 10 X 42 ARC 1 Mile laser range finding binos and love them. Yeah, the glass is noe Swarovski but neither is the price. Plus I get far better laser ranging performance than my friend's pricier Ziess LRF binoculars.