Spotting scope for the range

rickdavis81

I'm wanting a spotting scope for shooting at my range. I've never had a spotting scope before so I'm not sure what to expect. I'd like to be able to see my holes in paper targets on black backers. Is it too much to ask to see the shots at 6-700 yards? Something in the $500 range if that's possible. Leupold sx2 or sx4? Little more for an athlon ares? Naming these because they're in stock from my distributor.

I'd say it's not possible. For that price and to see that far... get a better scope and it will have more power and be more clear.

Shoot using White paper, much easier to spot hits, even white steel targets are easier at longer distances

Last edited:
Night Force 7x35, any good 5x25, the new ZCO 8x40.

To see that far and to see little holes, it will be pay to play.... unfortunately.

Lots of people think a spotter has more juice, some do, but they are expensive.

Try little targets on white butcher paper first and see if that helps first

Start thinking about using different type targets if you want to see bullet holes.
I recycle my old used home building plans by using the clean back side with the colored sticky dots to shoot at.
On a good day even the less costly scopes will show the holes out to 1000 yds.
But looking at a black target none of them will even on a very good day.

Any scope recommendations?
I know everyone is going to tell you to buy a 2 or 3k spotting scope, but my range scope is a Vortex Diamond Back HD 20x60x85 and it works just fine. Not spending hours on it looking for game, just checking targets. I think MSRP is like $599. Plus yes, use white paper with orange dots and it makes life even better.

The Athlon Ares 15-45x65 UHD Spotters are really worth looking at/through.
  • UHD Glass: Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • Interchangeable: Eyepiece Interchangeable Eyepiece allows you to swap the standard variable power eyepiece with a fixed 24 power eyepiece with a MIL ranging reticle in it.
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Aluminum Alloy Chassis: Aluminum alloy chassis offers you the strength of a metal chassis and the life time durability.
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes thus will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

You can buy a drone cheaper than a spotting scope. Just leave it parked with the camera showing the target. Or fly it back and forth takes little time.

The Athlon Ares 15-45x65 UHD Spotters are really worth looking at/through.
  • UHD Glass: Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • Interchangeable: Eyepiece Interchangeable Eyepiece allows you to swap the standard variable power eyepiece with a fixed 24 power eyepiece with a MIL ranging reticle in it.
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Aluminum Alloy Chassis: Aluminum alloy chassis offers you the strength of a metal chassis and the life time durability.
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes thus will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation
The Rotating Ring is a great feature for the range. A lot of the high power shooters use it.

I'm wanting a spotting scope for shooting at my range. I've never had a spotting scope before so I'm not sure what to expect. I'd like to be able to see my holes in paper targets on black backers. Is it too much to ask to see the shots at 6-700 yards? Something in the $500 range if that's possible. Leupold sx2 or sx4? Little more for an athlon ares? Naming these because they're in stock from my distributor.
Some great input as always from LRH members. For a single, fixed target position, another approach is a downrange camera with monitor.....phone, tablet.....at your shooting position. I protect the camera behind an angled AR500 plate directed downward into a sand trap with the transmitter tripod set way off to the side and the cable protected in a shallow trench. Easy target results viewing and targets can be saved electronically. LongShot, Caldwell, and SME offer a range of camera systems with ranges from 100+yds-over 2 miles costing $250-$1000.

I agree with using a camera system for those long ranges. I have a Swarovski 20-60x80 spotting scope and find it difficult to see 30cal holes at long distances on white paper. The nice thing about some camera systems is they automatically circle/highlite the last hole shot on your tablet/ipod monitor making it easier to evaluate your shooting. They also keep track of the order of each shot so you can number shots 1-10 etc and will calculate group size, etc. The downside is you'll have to move the camera if you change the target distances. You could leave the target stationary and move your shooting position distance.

Last edited: