• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Speer I think.. 6.5 140 gr Bonded factory seconds

I ordered some as well. In the notes, it states that it's a generic picture of a bullet, not the actual bullet. Has anyone received theirs, yet, to have a more definitive idea? Anxious to try these in my 6.5 Creedmoor and RL-26. Should make for a formidable round.

Yep. Definitely Deep Curl seconds. They may even be firsts that Midway found in an inventory exercise, but marked as seconds due to being old stock. Mfg part number and original sales price are identical to here...

Any way, my understanding is the Deep Curl line of rifle bullets was discontinued due to some unexpected pressure issues. I'm going to contact Speer. When I bought some .277 150 gr Deep Curls a few years ago from Midway, they were very clear to proceed with caution and don't use assume load data with the same caliber/weight. The Speer rep confirmed that, and sent me their test data specific to those bullets. Hopefully they will do the same here - however, I'd be surprised if they have data in 6.5 CM.
Please share that information here, if you ever end up getting anything from them. Thank you in advance!

we ordered abunch for hog shooting they worked great actually ordered another 1000 and they also had some 7mm 160gr cheap so we got some of them also on the last order they have not arrived but I believe them to be deep curls also be sure to back off your normal load for this bullet weight to start with they will build pressure quicker

interesting article on these, assuming that load data would be similar. Even more interesting is that he had and used RL-26, which I'm also using, and still only got 2600-2700fps. I was really hopeful that I'd see a lift in velocities just like has been reported across the board with the 6.5 Creedmoor and RL-26.

Be careful. The DeepCurl bullets are not the same as the Fusions. Yes they are both bonded. Yes they are both made by Speer. Fusions are boat tail. Beyond that, there are fundamental internal differences, which created high pressure with the DeepCurls that led to their obsolescence. Do not use Fusion load data. Specifically for these, do not use any other 140gr 6.5 data without working up from min cautiously.

With a case packed with RL26, I get 2900 fps with 143 ELD-X in my 22" 6.5CM.

That article ^^^^ shows 44gr RL26 in the 6.5CM. That is a very light load, so I'm not surprised the velocity is so low for the Fusions in a 28" bbl.

That's why I thought it was interesting; I wondered if he hit pressure signs early and had to stop at 44gr. I don't know what could be different internally, aren't both fusion and deep curl electrochemically bonded w/ copper, rather than gilding metal? I could see pressures spiking in both because of the stickiness of the copper vs gilding metal.

I'm only relating what I read on other sights when I initially picked up my .277 150gr. If I recall one sight mentioned the diameter of the DeepCurls may have been the issue, where some had slightly larger OD due to the mfg process. That combined with it not being able to compress to a smaller OD when engraved by the rifling (I.e. like a solid copper bullet without relief grooves). Thus the high pressures.

I'm not sure how they corrected this in the Fusion / Gold Dot lines. It may just be better QA/QC.

But the article above specifically mentions Fusions, so I doubt they hit pressure in 6.5 CM. That's <42kpsi load according to QL.

Last edited:
I'm only relating what I read on other sights when I initially picked up my .277 150gr. If I recall one sight mentioned the diameter of the DeepCurls may have been the issue, where some had slightly larger OD due to the mfg process. That combined with it not being able to compress to a smaller OD when engraved by the rifling (I.e. like a solid copper bullet without relief grooves). Thus the high pressures.

I'm not sure how they corrected this in the Fusion / Gold Dot lines. It may just be better QA/QC.

But the article specifically mentions Fusions, so I doubt they hit pressure. That's <42kpsi load according to QL.
I think you and I have been reading the same posts. Funny thing about search engines, hahaha!

Mine arrived today from Midway loose in a small cardboard box 4"x4"x4". They are dull in appearance and seem to be lightly coated with a fine graphite powder - that got all over my hands. According to the Speer rep I emailed, he was aware of the Midway seconds and told me those are not supposed to be the boron nitrided version but OEM uncoated seconds. I've never used such a coated bullet and have no idea what they would look like.

Last edited: