Speer 50gr TNT expansion?

Alucard

Hey guys. I have been shooting Nosler Ballistic tips for a number of years now in the .220 swift. Recently, I have been looking for bullets with more explosive expansion. I have tried the Speer 50gr TNT moving at 3850 fps - chronoed. They shoot very well on paper, but I was wondering how explosive they are? Anyone else tried these bad boys? Also, if they aren't the most explosive, which bullets are? Thanks.

Alucard,

Dang man, that is a tough question to answer. First of all I am assuming we are comparing bullets at the same fps. From experience with pds I have tried just about everything at one time or another, and I have some opinions, but proving them would be quite another story.

For many years I shot Noslers exclusively so I know what they do on pds. A friend of mine shoots the TNT. I would have to give the "explosive edge" to the TNT. But it would be a slight edge. Construction wise, the TNT should be more explosive also. That bullet cannot be pushed as fast as the Noslers and it will come apart.

As far as any one manufacturers bullet being significantly more explosive than another......my experience is they are all so close, the discussion would become subjective.

Jim

Thanks for the tip Jim!

Yes, I have tried a few things in my time as well. I have shot Noslers for some time and quite happy with the expansion. I had heard that the TNT's were THE bullet for destruction, and thought I would give em a shot. I have also tried Sierras Blitzking, but didn't find them to be as good as the Nosler on gophers.

How are the TNTs in longer shots? With the flat base will they shoot as good as the Noslers at say 300 yards? Just opinions of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alucard,

Good grief, you just keep the pressure on don't you. My face is flushed and my hands are starting to sweat. And I am just getting over a real bad weekend also. I was hiding easter eggs for the grand children and I went too far out on the lake and fell through the ice and almost drownd. I still can't understand why no one in the family will talk to me, when I am the one that almost got killed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I really doubt you will see any difference in that limited distance. When shooting with my buddy with the TNTs, our correction for wind is often similar. It sounds to me like you have a top notch gogher load there.

Jim

Sorry to hear about your accident Jim. Good thing you are still with us though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yeah, I ask the tough questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I was just wondering how the flat base fares against the boat-tail design. I will have to try thm out and see how the work for me. Thanks for all the tips Jim!

Sierra Blitz king. BTW over 3500-3600 fps and the TNT's will come apart in the air---Speer claims this!

While this is true, the TNT's can withstand about 200-300 fps faster and still hold together. I have chronoed the load that I was using and it averaged about 3800 to 3850 fps. I am assuming that they are on the VERY edge of coming apart, hopefully they all stay together for me though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I havent tried them but they might be what you are looking for.

www.jamescalhoon.com

Quote from "Bullet features" section:

"NEW!! 52gr RBT Dbl HP By popular demand, the old large hollow point 52s are back! Due to Fred's incessant belly-aching, we are forced to bring back the 52gr "Bubble Butt". Not great BC's, but you can't beat the launching, elevation and "helicopters"! Suggested maximum: 3600 ft/sec."

I to have pushed the TNT bullets far past their listed velocity limits and in a 1-14 twist barrel they generally shoot very well. In fact I developed a load for a customer using this bullet in a 22-250 AI I made up for him and using H-380 we got an honest 4000 fps with the TNT. I would not have believed it had I not seen it over my own chrony.

If you shoot a 1-12 or 1-10 you better stick to the listed velocity limits.

As far as terminal performance, As already stated, would be real hard to pick one bullet over the others out to 300 yards at these velocities. They all retain plenty of velocity to make dramatic expansion on light game.

If you don't think you "NEED" a Boattail bullet, and to be honest, to 300 yards there is no real need, the 50 Gr TNT will perform very well.

It does not have the B.C. of the tipped boattail bullets so wind drift will be more but not dramatically more over 300 yards.

THe nice thing is they are cheap! Compared to the Ballistic Tips. Personally I used to shoot the Ballistic Tips and Ballistic Silvertips exclusively but I got a real good buy on some 40, 50 and 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings, 1000 each so not I use them in everything from my 222 up to my 22-6mmAI. They are very accurate and in my experience are equals to the Ballistic Tips in terminal performance.

Since then I have tried the 52 gr FBHP Wildcat Bullets and have been very impressed with their accuracy potential. While they may not be as dramatic at say 222 and 223 velocitied, when driven to 3800 to 4200 fps, pretty much any bullet will turn a sod poodle inside out in a hurry!

Will be using these when my Blitzkings dry up.

To be honest, use the bullet that groups the tightest and never look back. You have enough horse power to make any varmint bullet pop real hard.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

My partner and I have shot TNT's for a while. We have shot them as fast as 4100 FPS out of a Swift Imp. and they will make it to the target. They will not make it to the target with a rough bore at velocities over 3800FPS. We usually use better bullets in the larger guns and use the TNT's in the 221, 222, & 223's for our small ground squirells in Northern Ca. In my opinion they are a little more violent then a B.T. and a little less than the V-max on small ground squirrels.

Good luck,
Mark

Ok, thanks for the tips guys!

Man you boys sure know your stuff! I was thinking of sticking to the TNTs due to the 1/8" 4 shot groups I get at 100 yards with these bad boys.

Yes, the Swift does have the horse power to make anything spectacular on the carnage, but I was trying to get just that much more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks again for the advice!

I have loaded both and was wondering the same thing. Last year however I used the 223 Rem UMC varmint packs and was suprised to see honest 1/2"-3/4" groups at 100yds out of my rifle. The results were explosive out to around 250yds on PD's I would have to say that bang for the buck the Remington 45gr Hp would be hard to beat.

Lance

Any varmint bullet will nicely explode small targets. Some are more explosive than others, but it's all satisfying. TNT's have been my bullet of choice for many years because they're real accurate, and the .22's are every so often for sale locally at $70/1000. They're about comparable to a ballistic tip...they blow the crap out of small vermin and make a nice mess with rockchucks. I shoot them in 14-twist .223 and .223AI to over 3800 without problem. But at 4100+ in a 22-250AI they come apart, so for me the limit is somewhere in between. One thing though - TNT's have a flat base while ballistic tips have a thick boattail. The TNT might not like the powder you're using with ballistic tips...it may take something with different burning curve to make them work. The 70gr TNT works well in a 13-twist .243AI...they're doing upwards of 3800 with very good accuracy. And those bullets make a real mess out of rockchucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.