Speeding up the 224 heavies?

I ran the fairly fragile 75gr A-Max (moly) bullets at 3,770 ft/sec from my 22-243AI and never "dusted" a single bullet. I think that the moly coating helped ease the bullets into the 8 twist rifling and reduced stress on the jackets. Friends who ran similar velocities w/o moly were destroying bullets.

Just a thought

1&7twist 26" barrel 77gr tmk blow up @3280 and up 85.5 gr Bergers shoot great dime size groups at 200yds. And are really wicked on deer have not had a chance on a yote yet

We always need a new toy, right?đź‘€
Debating a 224 caliber build to run 80-90gr bullets above 3300. Thinking but, not limited to Swift, 22/284 or 22 Cheetah with fast twist 24-26" barrel. There are some who say this is impossible due to constraints of caliber/bullet length/twist ratios. The contention is that if you get a twist suitable to stabilize the bullet length, it works against velocity (<3100) and/or bullet integrity will go to pieces due to hyper-twist above 3100.

I definitely see the logic of these constraints but, i have yet to find a guy who has actually experienced these limitations.

I know several of you guys have experience in this department? is it possible to accurately run the heavies above 3300? What say you?

Note: they make barrels everyday—-barrel life not a concern!!!
Not the fastest .224 cartridge in the world but certainly enough for my needs is the 22-250AI. I built it on an 8 twist barrel 30" long. It drives the 80ELDs around 3500+ very accurately like a literal lazer beam. No problems with bullet separation. Going into a 7 twist I believe with such a fast bullet running much faster RPMs, I think I'd have jacket problems with certain bullets. I think once all my 22-250 ackley brass wears out and 3 barrels later, I'd do the 22 CM just because brass is available for it and no fireforming is needed.

Last edited:
We've been doing this for sometime using the 22-250AI in 1/8 tw 26" and 7828SSC. No issues at all. One shooter uses a 220Swift-AI in 1/8 tw with RL26. We use chambers throated for the 75 and heavier bullets, so we can seat them out for added powder capacity.
That's one powder I haven't used in my 22-250AI. Heard great things. I use it in my 6.5-284s with excellent success. I'm going to try it out this winter hoping for your accuracy results. It's definitely a higher velocity powder than any others. I use RL23 with good results maybe similar to the RL26 not sure. I think I'm kinda chasing the lands now after having 1000 rounds on my last barrel. Probably gonna be better for the 88 ELDs. Currently shooting the 75/80s and since the Hornady Amax and ELD loves to jump, accuracy hasn't suffered. I'll be loading some RL26 under some 80 Amax bullets this week.

I ran the fairly fragile 75gr A-Max (moly) bullets at 3,770 ft/sec from my 22-243AI and never "dusted" a single bullet. I think that the moly coating helped ease the bullets into the 8 twist rifling and reduced stress on the jackets. Friends who ran similar velocities w/o moly were destroying bullets.

Just a thought
Yes, we used moly in a lot a different calibers, and it did let the jacket slide better and with less distortion and engraving damage. Actually on the 1,000yd line, many saw improved BC and less drop, and we believe this was from less engraving distortion causing less air resistance. I still have a fair quantity of moly powder, but eventually, most of us went away from the mess. Although, I still have several hundred moly coated 6mm and 224 bullets in stock that are calling my name again.

Yes, we used moly in a lot a different calibers, and it did let the jacket slide better and with less distortion and engraving damage. Actually on the 1,000yd line, many saw improved BC and less drop, and we believe this was from less engraving distortion causing less air resistance. I still have a fair quantity of moly powder, but eventually, most of us went away from the mess. Although, I still have several hundred moly coated 6mm and 224 bullets in stock that are calling my name again.
I eventually got away from the impact plating of moly and the subsequent wax coating. Tossed all of my plating equipment and supplies. No sooner did I get rid of them before guys started asking about moly again. Go figure.

For the record, I never had an adverse issue with moly, ie: build up, rust, etc. I just got tired of plating bullets and questioned its use in anything other than that 22-243AI.

I shoot a plain jane 22-243 now and am very happy with it. Sometimes easier is just better. :D

I'd vote 22 creed as well.. I've worked up to 3450 with h4350 and 87g bergers in 6mm creed. So the 224 80 grainers should be able to get that kind of velocity as well, I'd imagine.

Does anyone have experience with a gain twist barrel? Coupled with hBN or moly the limits could be pushed some.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.