Sous vide pork belly for lunch ...

FEENIX

Sous vide pork belly with coarse sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and white truffle oil at 138F for 8 hours. Re-seasoned with the marinade and pan-fried on cast iron with olive oil. Served with baked cauliflower seasoned with gourmet burger seasoning blend and Aleppo Turkish chili pepper, cranberry conserves (apple, pear, pecan, orange gelatin mix), sriracha sauce and chased down with Balvenie scotch.

Sous vide pork belly 1 of 3.jpg
Sous vide pork belly 2 of 3.jpg
Sous vide pork belly 3 of 3.jpg

Cheers!

Ed

Interesting combination of flavours there Feenix.

Looks nice & moist for sure, was it tender though??

I know you did it for 8 hour but at 58*C(138*F) I just don't think that is a high enough temp to break down the muscle fibres.

I usually do mine at 70*C(158*F) for up to 12 hours.

Anyway I also know a lot of people who just quickly roast pork belly as well but to me its a cut that does prefer low & slow.

Look great :)

Interesting combination of flavours there Feenix.

Looks nice & moist for sure, was it tender though??

I know you did it for 8 hour but at 58*C(138*F) I just don't think that is a high enough temp to break down the muscle fibres.

I usually do mine at 70*C(158*F) for up to 12 hours.

Anyway I also know a lot of people who just quickly roast pork belly as well but to me its a cut that does prefer low & slow.

Look great :)

Yes, it is tender enough for my preference. I will try for 12 hours next time though. Thanks!

going to have to try this. Had some left over after doing pork belly burn ends (bought too much to fit in smoker). This looks interesting...

I've only ever done pork belly on the smoker, but I have considered the sous vide. I like smoked bacon though, and I am hooked on burnt ends, but I may have to slice a small slab off and try this SV a la FEENIX. ;)

We received a sous vide from friends. Never tried it, but this has us interested. Probably a lot of recipes on the net. Thanks for the interesting post.

I have a KITCHENBOSS 1100w and I really like it. I did 2 slabs of baby backs sat/sun. 150 F for 24 hours then 2 hours at 180 F on the Traeger. I used a Rubbermaid plastic container and it did get a little flimsy. I have a 2 lid Coleman cooler that I have modified to accept my sous vide stick in the top, plus it has a drain. For smaller cuts of meat I just use a large stock pot. Got the stick on Amazon for 89 bucks.
jk

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.