Sous Vide Venison rump

aushunter1

Hi LRH'ers, I cant believe I have been on here this long & never put a recipe on here, being a chef & all I should be more giving to this area.
Anyway I thought I would get the ball rolling with this simple one I did at home some time ago.

Amongst many appliances I have at home probably the 2 best things I have & use the most frequently are the sunbeam foodsaver food Vac machine & my Anova sous vide heater.
There are many versions of each but I wont go into then on this occasion but if anyone want to read more about the version I have here is the links to both.

www.harveynorman.com.au

FoodSaver By Sunbeam Gets The Seal Of Approval | Harvey Norman Australia
Whether it's a healthy weeknight dinner, a quick salad for lunch or a three-course meal for a special occasion – we all know that fresh ingredients are
www.harveynorman.com.au
anovaculinary.com

Anova Precision Cooker | Anova Culinary
The all-new Anova Precision® Cooker — now with improved connectivity, more power, and water resistance, all in a compact design. Everything you know and love just got better!
anovaculinary.com
anovaculinary.com
In some of my cooking these 2 machines are used together to produce mouth water dishes.
I love to slow cook & do this in a number of way, one is the sous vide method.

When using the sous vide there are 2 different ways you can cook with it, one is by vacuum sealing the item raw with some seasoning, olive oil, aromats & herbs, once cooked for the desired time/heat you then take the item out of the bag & colour in a medium hot pan/grill & if doing this I will use 1/2 butter & 1/2 olive oil & baste the meat, the only thing with this method is that the doneness of the meat will increase so you need to sous vide to a lower temp allowing for that increase & resting time.

The other method is to seal the item in the pan first giving it a good colour/caramelization, then place it on the bag with the aromats/herbs etc, seal it & then cook it to the end desired temperature.

In this case I did this piece of venison rump as per the 1st method, it was a 600gr piece to start, cooked it in the bag for 4 hours @55*c, then added it to the pan to finish off, the end core temperature was 62*c for medium rare.

Served with a simple mash & a creamy mushroom sauce which I made in the pan I finished the meat it while it was resting, I usually Joosh the presentation up a bit more but you get the idea :D

As you can see by the even colour of the meat & how juicy it looks it is such a great way of cooking.

You can do any kind of protein & if an item needs a longer & higher temp to tenderize it you can just turn up the heat on the machine.

Bon appetite :)

venison anova (2).jpg

I sous vide often, particularly game meat. But I've never tried the second method you describe of searing first. I'm curious when you prefer that method. Thinner cuts? Particular meats?

I'd also like to hear some of your favorite aromatics and herbs for the sous vide with game meat.

Great post-thanks.

Son of a gun that looks delicious.
Thank you :)

Dang thay looks good! Thanks for sharing

Cheers, no worries :)

I sous vide often, particularly game meat. But I've never tried the second method you describe of searing first. I'm curious when you prefer that method. Thinner cuts? Particular meats?

I'd also like to hear some of your favorite aromatics and herbs for the sous vide with game meat.

Great post-thanks.
Each chef will have their own opinion but for me the second method is good if you want to take it straight out of the bag & start carving & onto the plate, you can control the exact degree of temperature/doneness & there is no need to rest the item because you haven't given it that last minute high heat.
Its also really good for cooking a product that you intend to eat cold, like say medium rare beef for an entrée or even sandwiches or on a buffet etc because you can put it straight into the fridge or into iced water for quick chill still in the bag with the flavour still locked in.

Another example is say Jerk or Moroccan spiced chicken breast, coat with spices & seal in the pan, put into the bag & depending size/thickens would determine the length of time but cook it @70 to 75*c for 2 hours & it will be the most succulent chicken you've ever had, hot or cold.

What I use for flavourings totally depends on the end style, say I was going to do a Thai venison salad then I would use sliced fresh ginger, garlic, bruised lemongrass stems, coriander root, sliced red chilli etc.

More classical French would be thyme & rosemary sprigs, crushed garlic cloves, bay leaf, hell throw in some cognac if you like.

Chinese style could be, Sichuan pepper, five spice, ginger, garlic, sesame oil etc

Indian style you could add some fresh turmeric, garlic, chilli, cardamom, mustard seeds etc.

Essentially whatever country you want to visit try to use their main key ingredients.

Hope that helps.

Thank you :)

Cheers, no worries :)

Each chef will have their own opinion but for me the second method is good if you want to take it straight out of the bag & start carving & onto the plate, you can control the exact degree of temperature/doneness & there is no need to rest the item because you haven't given it that last minute high heat.
Its also really good for cooking a product that you intend to eat cold, like say medium rare beef for an entrée or even sandwiches or on a buffet etc because you can put it straight into the fridge or into iced water for quick chill still in the bag with the flavour still locked in.

Another example is say Jerk or Moroccan spiced chicken breast, coat with spices & seal in the pan, put into the bag & depending size/thickens would determine the length of time but cook it @70 to 75*c for 2 hours & it will be the most succulent chicken you've ever had, hot or cold.

What I use for flavourings totally depends on the end style, say I was going to do a Thai venison salad then I would use sliced fresh ginger, garlic, bruised lemongrass stems, coriander root, sliced red chilli etc.

More classical French would be thyme & rosemary sprigs, crushed garlic cloves, bay leaf, hell throw in some cognac if you like.

Chinese style could be, Sichuan pepper, five spice, ginger, garlic, sesame oil etc

Indian style you could add some fresh turmeric, garlic, chilli, cardamom, mustard seeds etc.

Essentially whatever country you want to visit try to use their main key ingredients.

Hope that helps.

I'll have to make my wife the Thai Venison Salad, she'll love and Indian style as well. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts