Sorry for all the questions but here is another...

Colin

This one has to do with COAL.

Couple weeks ago I loaded my first round of .270 win. Did not even look at the books listed Max COAL. What I did was seated a bullet in an empty casing just short enough to fit in the mag. Then made sure it would chamber with out any exsesive bolt pressure needed. Worked fine. So to day I am ready to laod up some more test rounds. I measured the COAL of my dummy round from last time so I the COAL would be the same this time. My COAL is 3.399 Max listed in the book is 3.340 Is this ok? If I shorten to 3.340 I will be miles from the lands!?!?

Colin you will be fine, have you measured your coal in your rifle?. I have 2 -270win both have long throat's. My savage is seated 3.455 which is .0200 from land's of rifle, lucky i have a mag that will accommodate this long throat. It would be wise to measure your rifle's coal then see how far from land's you are seating your bullet...

Colin you will be fine, have you measured your coal in your rifle?. I have 2 -270win both have long throat's. My savage is seated 3.455 which is .0200 from land's of rifle, lucky i have a mag that will accommodate this long throat. It would be wise to measure your rifle's coal then see how far from land's you are seating your bullet...

+1
Good to know where you are length wise, but if you want to feed from the mag. it ( the mag.) trumps chasing the rifling as long as the accuracy is there.

Thanks again for the replays and help. You guys are great! I am having a blast getting into reloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.