• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Son's First Hunting Rifle

Good for you..do it. We used a 300 Blackout with 110-120 X bullets and killed maybe 8 deer. I will not change my view and am happy you feel confident in yours. I will say again a 223 is not a deer rifle--your mileage my vary though...
Same here. Up until now my son uses a suppressed 300 BO Ruger Ranch. 110gr tAc-TX. Perfect

Last edited:
I have Culled 100++ deer with a .223, I Live in Texas which has managed land programs where we we are required by the Biologists to shoot a certain number of deer.
With the right bullets it is a deer killer to 200 yds no problem and very little meat loss.
Most Shots are closer to 100YDS,

I think shooters who Poo Poo a .223 for deer hunting have very little experience with one or assume we are making long shots at bad angles.

I made the mistake of building a .243 (because 30 yrs ago I thought that was the minimum caliber for deer)for my 8yr old 45lb daughter and
and about made her quit shooting.

I have since taught Small children and grand children in my purview to shoot deer with a .223 in a short barreled REMY 700 that I have bought 5 different Hogue takeoff Stocks for(Cheap).

I Have cut off each from 10 inches to 12.5 inches to fit each size kid and just swap to whatever fits the kid.

NONE have complained about the recoil.
Ammo is cheap enough to practice and I load 55gr barnes tsx to hunt with.

Hornady 55gr SP training ammo works great to Hunt with also and is $26.00 for 50.

When they are older most of them transition to 7-08 when they get to 80 lbs or so, and shoot these with some skill because the have had a lot of practice with a caliber they are not scared of.

I admit a 7-08 is a BETTER all around deer caliber but not necessary to kill a whitetail deer.

I think a lot of us who are NOT recoil sensitive, forget how negatively it can affect a young inexperienced shooter.

Just my humble experienced Opinion.

I have Culled 100++ deer with a .223, I Live in Texas which has managed land programs where we we are required by the Biologists to shoot a certain number of deer.
With the right bullets it is a deer killer to 200 yds no problem and very little meat loss.
Most Shots are closer to 100YDS,

I think shooters who Poo Poo a .223 for deer hunting have very little experience with one or assume we are making long shots at bad angles.

I made the mistake of building a .243 (because 30 yrs ago I thought that was the minimum caliber for deer)for my 8yr old 45lb daughter and
and about made her quit shooting.

I have since taught Small children and grand children in my purview to shoot deer with a .223 in a short barreled REMY 700 that I have bought 5 different Hogue takeoff Stocks for(Cheap).

I Have cut off each from 10 inches to 12.5 inches to fit each size kid and just swap to whatever fits the kid.

NONE have complained about the recoil.
Ammo is cheap enough to practice and I load 55gr barnes tsx to hunt with.

Hornady 55gr SP training ammo works great to Hunt with also and is $26.00 for 50.

When they are older most of them transition to 7-08 when they get to 80 lbs or so, and shoot these with some skill because the have had a lot of practice with a caliber they are not scared of.

I admit a 7-08 is a BETTER all around deer caliber but not necessary to kill a whitetail deer.

I think a lot of us who are NOT recoil sensitive, forget how negatively it can affect a young inexperienced shooter.

Just my humble experienced Opinion.
Yes the 223 is a good cartridge to start shooting with and with the right bullets and range as you stated is good for deer. The only problem is many states it is not legal to hunt deer or any big game with any thing smaller than 23 caliber, of witch there is no 23 caliber so they go to the 243 win., and I think the 250-3000 savage would be a good chose as well but unfortchantly very few (if any) chamber it now. I wish some one would make a 23 caliber rifle cartridge just because of all the states that have this law. I think the 223 or 250 case necked to a 23 caliber with a twist fast enough for a good deer bullet of a good weight an construction, would be grate for young and small hunters just learning and have little recoil just like the 223.