something different

rscott5028

Growing up in Texas which is 99% private land, I've been fortunate to have hunted native species for the past 40 years.

I even had a chance to hunt in Africa when I was much younger due to the good graces of a family friend.

I now have a son in high school that loves hunting/fishing and he's taken a number of whitetails, etc here. I'd like to expose him to new opportunities, but can't afford to pay big $$$'s.

However, I've been intrigued by hunting antelope, elk, etc on public lands. It's a completely foreign concept.

Is it a viable option? Where do you start? What are some other cost effective hunting opportunities?

thanks!
Richard

Lot of public land to hunt out west. Most of the states are draw for non resident and out of state tags, travel expenses, etc. Just have to decide where and how much you want to spend. A lot of season are during school times if that matters. Just check Game and fish websites of different states. Some of the members here may help you out also. Wyoming antelope is a draw tag and an easy hunt in my areas Farson, Wy. I could help out with this if interested but too late for 2011 as drawings are over for non resident and only left over tags in July which most of will be doe fawn. Hope this helps.

Lot of public land to hunt out west. Most of the states are draw for non resident and out of state tags, travel expenses, etc. Just have to decide where and how much you want to spend. A lot of season are during school times if that matters. Just check Game and fish websites of different states. Some of the members here may help you out also. Wyoming antelope is a draw tag and an easy hunt in my areas Farson, Wy. I could help out with this if interested but too late for 2011 as drawings are over for non resident and only left over tags in July which most of will be doe fawn. Hope this helps.

That sounds great. I don't have to do anything spontaneous. I just thought that I should start looking into it.

I know some drawings take decades for people to get a tag. What are the odds for drawing a Wy antelope tag next year?

thanks!!
richard

It all depends on the area you put in for the state website post the odds of areas from the previous year. Usually you need at least one preference point around Farson to have a good chance of drawing. If you put in for a tag and don't draw then you get a PP. Or you can just buy a PP for the year.

I had to google PP. But, it sounds like a good system to give folks a chance. I guess it pays to not wait.

thanks!

If you head out west look into bear hunting also, you could do a combo hunt. I think you can get over counter in ID.I used to get over counter elk.

I would suggest maybe a camping / antelope hunt for the irst year. Your success rate should be good and it is an easier hunt than a public land elk hunt. While you are there take in the country and maybe do some scouting or inquiring about a future elk hunt. Just heading off with a map of public lands looking to tag an elk might be tough. Some very fun time can be had on public lands , camping near by and hunting antelope. They are up and feeding all day and are a blast to hunt.

Jeff

The period for purchasing Wyoming preference points towards next years draw begins July 1, and runs to the 30th of September. While online check next years application deadlines as they come up fast. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Broz -

I'm not up for the ultimate challenge. So, taking in the outdoors and perhaps a long range poke at an antelope would be a good start.

Thanks all !!!
Richard

Pronghorn are a nice, vacation type hunt. Tons of public land, lots of animals, plenty of shot opportunities. Lots of places to go.

I live in Utah, and hunt Colorado a lot. For my out of state friends, I always invite them to Colorado. They have large populations of elk, mulies, and antelope. Bear are seen on most trips.

Seems like Utah is more public then private. Blows me away when I travel and can't camp and hunt anywhere I am... Texas would be like a foreign country. You might find the hunting here a little disheartening after hunting private land for a lifetime. It is very challenging and competitive. Success rates average 20% for general big game hunts.

If you get up this way, or want to come up this way, I'll be glad to help.

My hunting partner and I do horse pack hunting trips into high wilderness areas. I have to say, I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.