Meat Damage/Destruction

I wanted to compare two 416 caliber bullets. One a 350 grain Hawk, the other 350 grain Speer hot core. The Hawk out of a 416 Ruger, the Speer out of a 416 Rigby, both doing roughly 2550. Two whitetails for the table, with as close a my possible the same shot placement. The Hawk did a little bit more damage but neither did as much as a 270 with 140 grain Sierra Game king in the same spot. The advantage the larger diameter bullet has is "thump"(knock down is not a good term). The "thump" helps take down game as well or better than "shock". I did some testing with pumpkins, pvc pipe, dog food bags and moss for "thump". A 500 grain 458 Lott has 100 time more "thump" than a screeming 130 grain 7mm mag! They both kill, the big one just secures better with less damage!

Well if bullets where so predictable I suppose 100% of self defense ammo would expand, penetrate and retain weight as designed. So the better predictable bullet is still kind of hokey.

The angle of deflection (bullet) would be perfect and when you aim at a windshield if would perfectly go straight into a medium 100% of time. I also suppose with their predictability people wouldnt have questions like what a .50 cal does to a mammal.

Why would a 7.62. X 39 go through my buddies shoulder, but exit his torso? What I mean is it's not a bullet thing based on tested results of what it "should do." It's when it does things that were never tested or you didnt think it could do.

Sorry! I was directing my comment on the expected expansion of a bullet fired from a rifle, on game animals. My comment was quite narrowly based, relating to rifle bullets and game!

Handguns are an entirely different animal. Most defense bullets are designed for a fairly narrow velocity window, rifles a much wider range. Handgun defense bullets, also are subject to impact many different materials....leather, several layers of cloth,etc., and will experience varying velocities dependent upon the barrel length of the handgun firing said bullet....all of which can effect desired expansion. The more I study and learn about the low velocity effects of bullets on flesh.... the more I'm inclined to switch to a heavy, hard cast, wide metplat bullet for my defense handgun. If they perform well on large, muscular, heavy boned animals....likely, they will not be affected by any of above listed things which can/will affect a JHP recognized as a handgun defense bullet. The primary drawback being over penetration.....but it will very likely penetrate all articles of clothing, penetrate a car windshield, etc., while having a higher probability of maintaining it's intended direction of travel! memtb

Sorry! I was directing my comment on the expected expansion of a bullet fired from a rifle, on game animals. My comment was quite narrowly based, relating to rifle bullets and game!

Handguns are an entirely different animal. Most defense bullets are designed for a fairly narrow velocity window, rifles a much wider range. Handgun defense bullets, also are subject to impact many different materials....leather, several layers of cloth,etc., and will experience varying velocities dependent upon the barrel length of the handgun firing said bullet....all of which can effect desired expansion. The more I study and learn about the low velocity effects of bullets on flesh.... the more I'm inclined to switch to a heavy, hard cast, wide metplat bullet for my defense handgun. If they perform well on large, muscular, heavy boned animals....likely, they will not be affected by any of above listed things which can/will affect a JHP recognized as a handgun defense bullet. The primary drawback being over penetration.....but it will very likely penetrate all articles of clothing, penetrate a car windshield, etc., while having a higher probability of maintaining it's intended direction of travel! memtb

I got you.
It's just my opinion that bullets being more predictable because of new tech doesn't account other variables like bone, velocities for ideal expansion or simply the bullet hits a stick hanging from a tree from the timber. I'm not talking about a bullet that sucks.

Or like the cartridge here that was made for anti technical purposes. I've don't know about anyone else but I've seen it do weird things on different mediums.

Attachments

• 70E9E5D5-4FA2-47F8-8591-B94402D6FBB7.jpeg
    70E9E5D5-4FA2-47F8-8591-B94402D6FBB7.jpeg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I got you.
It's just my opinion that bullets being more predictable because of new tech doesn't account other variables like bone, velocities for ideal expansion or simply the bullet hits a stick hanging from a tree from the timber. I'm not talking about a bullet that sucks.

Or like the cartridge here that was made for anti technical purposes. I've don't know about anyone else but I've seen it do weird things on different mediums.

I agree, I've seen hunting bullets do some strange/bizarre things after impact....discounting hitting limbs,etc. The majority of issues I've noted were related to, light for caliber, conventional cup and core bullets. When using a more standard or heavy for caliber and a more premium bullet (starting with the partition, up thru the mono's).....I think that performance is more predictable. I don't even believe in "light for caliber" mono's....too many people are too "hung-up" on higher velocity being the end all answer to everything! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.