Getting Meat Home

I have 4' tool boxes on my truck I put 2" blue bed in them and one equals something like 200 art. and I have a Orion 66 that I put all my ice jugs in, hold almost week when 80,I refreeze in camper freezer as needed.

Happy hunting

Attachments

• E051FA6B-0AC3-4900-8042-B7B933DBBE6C.jpeg
    E051FA6B-0AC3-4900-8042-B7B933DBBE6C.jpeg
    1,012 KB · Views: 95
This is the latest update on this idea when flying.

A year ago, my son and I shipped our 4 deer in 2 Orca 140qt coolers via YRC freight from Nebraska to CA. Packed tight and 15 pounds of dry ice did the trick. $180 delivered to local terminal. Ended up being 7 days and about 6 rolls of summer sausage/burger were just starting to get a little soft in each cooler. Superb performance IMHO.

This year, we only had 3 deer, so not as much volume. Plus, the meat was in plastic bags from the processor and those bags were placed in the cooler, so things were not nearly as tight. With 30 pounds of dry ice in each cooler, and again 7 days to ship, this year we had a lot more softness. Still super cold, but not frozen solid like last years' shipment.

If we do this again, we will make certain that things are packed tight, use as much dry ice as possible, use either more towels or crumpled newspaper to fill any dead space, and try to ship on a Monday so if everything goes right, they will arrive in 5 days instead of 7.

To me, those Orca coolers are punching WAY above their weight. I am very impressed with their performance. Made in USA and they offer a 20% veterans discount.

Coolers2.JPG

Much like hogs, speed goats (antelope) do not get better with age. Once the carcass is cooled down bone that goat out. If you shoot it at 10:00 AM, get it boned/cut and wrapped that afternoon for best quality meat. Skin carefully, don't touch any of the glands on the skin and keep hair off the meat. For the trip home as suggested by others, a small chest freezer in the bed of the truck is the gold standard. If already cold (plugged in at the ranch) and the meat is frozen you can likely get home with it still frozen. Plug it in over night at the motel on longer trips home.