Tips for Meat Care on a flat land (no trees) multi-day hunt

Last year we killed two antelope in the same day. One at 9:30ish in the morning the next one about 12:30ish in the afternoon. Cleaned both and this was our operation. We had two of the big Igloo coolers filled with ice. We had a third Igloo cooler empty. We put a bed of ice in the empty cooler, about two inches, then put in one antelope. We then filled the body cavity with ice and put a layer of ice on the antelope. Did the same thing for the second antelope. Went back to camp, about two hours later, deboned both of the antelope, put the meat on a layer of ice and layered more ice on top. Made the run home in about six hours. Some of the meat was very close to being frozen. We left the drain plugs open to lose some of the water. We then processed and packaged the meat in vacuum bags and put it in the freezer. Personally, I have no fear of the meat being in ice cold water. I have NEVER lost any game meat of any type by leaving it in ice cold water.
Last year I hunted in Kansas. Was very fortunate to harvest four whitetail deer. It was cool enough to leave the deer hanging outside, which I did for two days. Boned the meat and put it in three Igloo coolers. Same process, layer of ice on the bottom, layer of meat, layer of ice until the cooler is full. On the way home, to Nevada, I checked the ice in Arizona and added two bags of ice between the three coolers. When I got back to Nevada, it took my wife and I a day and a half to process all of the meat. When we started to grind our burger, the last part of processing, the meat was cold enough that it would start to hurt your hands as you fed it into the grinder.
You said you have a five day hunt. How far are you going home after the hunt? Being careful to keep the ice on your meet you should be safe for at least five to six days. During that time the most wonderful aging will be taking place. One word of advice. Don't open the cooler every other hour. Leave it closed and your ice will last much longer.
We have in the past used the generator and ice chest procedure but it is costly compared to the Igloos and ice. It does work but a huge amount of space is utilized that may not be available to you.
GOOD LUCK on your hunt!

So many tips! I appreciate all of it. We were going to vacuum seal meat after we came to hotel. Ideally how much time should it take for quartered antelope to cool down?

No off-road vehicle. But walk is not bad. Chest freezer idea was brought up during our discussion. Not sure how will we power it. We are renting a pickup. Few more idea were Dry Ice, Frozen Salt water bottles and, of course a lot of ice bags. We are not camping.
If you rent , see if the pickup has an ac outlet. a lot of then newer ones have that.

We do a 9-11 day hunt every year. We have a "base camp" with truck access if we e should need to get to town for additional supplies. We fill coolers with homemade rectangular block ice. It lasts far longer than cube. Dont put anything in them that isnt frozen and dont open them any more than absolutely necessary. Debone your meat and let cool as much as is feasible and put in cooler all at once. Remember, everytime you open it, you're losing your ice. In extreme heat,mid nineties,we may lose a third of our ice in 5 days. Keep coolers in shade of tent or truck as much as possible. Been doing this for about twenty years.

Pronghorn is my favorite meat. But you HAVE o get it out of the skin immediately. I skin em, quarter em, lay the parts on game bags as I go and turn them over regularly so the underside gets cool too. You might be surprised at how quickly it cools off. Once I'm done I check all to be sure it is all cool before putting it in the game bags. I pack them out on my pack and then, back at the truck, I put them in heavy plastic bags and tie them closed so no water can get in then sink em in icy water. It a slurry like I do for Tuna offshore minus the salt water. The meat is cold cold in 10 minutes or so. Then I cheat. I hunt in central Wyoming and I take all of my meat to Pats Meat Processing in Casper. It is professionally packed, labeled and frozen when I pick it up a couple of days later... and for a WAY better price than I get in Texas. (I wish Pats meats was in Texas).

So many tips! I appreciate all of it. We were going to vacuum seal meat after we came to hotel. Ideally how much time should it take for quartered antelope to cool down?
Take the biggest/thickest piece of meat stick your knife into it at it thickest point and put your finger in it, that'll tell if there's any heat left in the tissue or not, doesn't hurt to do this to several pieces as the meat on top of cooler is last to cool down

All of above ice down suggestions plus get cooler off ground so air circulates under it, place wood or ss rack in cooler to raise meat out of water, cut 2" foam pad bigger than cooler to insulate over meat so it fits tight to sides of cooler which is huge help on air mgmt, good old duct tape lid seam. Solid ice and rock salt will last 5 days this way. KEEP sun off cooler at all costs with light color tarp to reflect sun radiant energy.

Just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in. Attached is a photo of our hunt. We got Lifetime 75qt coolers and it retained ice for more than a week. I am a big fan now. We used block ice and cubed ice combo. We did vacuum seal meat once at camp.

Attachments

• 2FEDB8B4-FCF8-4585-80B7-A8253C180230.jpeg
    2FEDB8B4-FCF8-4585-80B7-A8253C180230.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.