Some advice on getting my nieces up and running.

CLUTCHfan

Behind the facade of this innocent looking booksto
Merry Christmas everyone!

Guess I'll give a little background before I ask my actual questions. My nieces have taken their hunters safety courses, and have been out with myself or my father a couple times. They are 13 and 14. I've had them shooting bb guns occasionally over the last few years. The older girl got her first turkey this fall. The younger girl missed hers. They had previously been on a squirrel hunt that didn't go particularly well, and even though they were only shooting 28ga guns, I think the squirrel hunt very nearly turned the younger girl off to hunting all together because of the recoil of the shotgun. Part of this was due to the gun not fitting her well, which we have fixed. It still made her very recoil sensitive. The older girl came w me on her first deer hunt this year, and she is okay w the 20ga shooting slugs (shotgun only in my county). As an incentive to get them/keep them interested in hunting, I decided that it was time, and that they were old enough and responsible enough to have their own gun. For Christmas I bought them each a marlin 795 .22. After some hesitation, they were both having a great time with them this afternoon, and the younger girl said she REALLY liked her new gun, and mentioned how little it "pushed back". My plan is to get them comfortable and competent w the .22s (shooting before or after Sunday dinner every week), and then re-acquaint the younger girl to hunting by going after woodchucks in the spring. I figure this is the best way, because the weather is nice, it's easy hunting, and she'll get to use her new gun. After I get them comfortable with iron sights, I will be putting a scope on each gun and then get them comfortable with that.

So now for my questions.
- Does everyone think this is the right way to go about this? Any suggestions that may be different, or that may work better, or on something I should change?
- Planning on getting them 6x fixed power scopes for the .22s. Would 3x9 variables be a better choice? Would 4x? Typically we can shoot woodchucks between 50-100yds at the spot I'll be taking them to. At some point I'll be taking them for squirrels as well. Was looking at nikko sterling scopes earlier today because they are in my price range for the immediate future, and have mildot reticles.
- Anyone have any other advice?

Appreciate any and all responses.

It sounds like your on the right track keep it fun, reactive, and active targets.The chucks are good targets. Uncertain as to numbers available for you. Target rich environment is best for the kids.

Let them help choose the scopes, and some targets. Some stores have a stock, that accommodates scopes so you can try a little before you buy. If they have targets you can get a feel for what they like. Most of what you mentioned will work, finding something they like goes pretty far though, personalizes it a bit.

Good Luck!

I would probably look at a scope that was adaptable for the next level of rifle they might move to. Selecting a scope with only the .22 in mind might end up being somewhat short sighted, and a variable power scope (e.g 6-9) seems to me to be the center line for magnification. I would also allow them to choose the reticle they prefer; but only after explaining what the differences are. A young shooter might think the reticle looks "cool" but if they have no idea how to use it they could end up disappointed in the long run.
Next rifle after the .22 might be a .17 or .223. Fun to shoot, very accurate. They could eventually learn reloading skills with the .223 if that's in the long range plan.

Since they are nieces, I'd first give some careful thought to what their parents have in mind for their future. You never mention them, but they will have way more influence on their attraction to hunting than you or any equipment they have.

Since they are nieces, I'd first give some careful thought to what their parents have in mind for their future. You never mention them, but they will have way more influence on their attraction to hunting than you or any equipment they have.

My sister whole heartedly encourages it. Their father is dead. I have been the male role model in their lives all along, and have been the one who has taken them fishing and camping and has influenced their love of the outdoors since they were toddlers. That is not the issue.

I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting what appears to be condescension on your part.

I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting what appears to be
condescension on your part.

I can't say what track the other fellow was on, but It looks like you're on the right path for the right reason. That will always puzzle and bewilder folks.

Stay strong, and keep on, it's worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.