Some 30 Cal BCs Tested

Mike, I just needed to know how the chronos read relative to each other. If one read 20 fps higher than the other and I didn't know it, that would skew the numbers one way or the other depending upon whether I put it in front or back. The relative comparison between bullets would still be valid, but much less absolutely accurate.

As it turned out, Oehlers are good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif One averaged 4 fps slower reading the same bullet than the other (accounting for the 1 fps the bullet lost between the two). I only shot three to come up with that, but they were all single digit differences with a max of 7 fps and an average of 4. So I simply added 4 fps to the readings from that one when figuring the BC's to put them on a level playing field. Had the difference been bigger, neglecting to do this would have had a larger effect. But the only way to know for sure was to find the difference in the first place.

Excellent work Jon, thanks for the effort. That's why manufactures and bullet makers hesitate to put a number on the BC of a bullet. I wish people would understand the number they are giving is a starting point or the number on that perticular day in that location they tested and don't critisize if they can't come up with a match. BP,humidity,temp,and altitude will certainly give different BC on a bullet. What powder or powders did you use for your testing?

Here were the loads:

173 101 Retumbo
180s (all of them) 99 Retumbo
200 96 Retumbo
210 94 Retumbo
240 101 US869

Some of the velocities were higher than they should be. I was starting out the test with a dirty rifle and didn't realize I had forgotten to bring my cleaning stuff until I had everything set up...so I said screw it and did the test anyway.

This makes a difference for some bullets because my throat is really tight and when there's a bunch of carbon built up in it some of the more pudgy-nosed bullets (240 SMK, 200 AB, etc) chamber with significant feel and marks will be on the bullets when removed. I think this sort of has a similar effect to jamming the bullets in the lands, increasing pressure and velocity.

Anyway, that's why a couple of the velocities are higher than they should be. For example, I chronoed the 240 load the next day with a clean rifle and it was right at 2970 where it should be.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts