Solid Bullet Recommendation 6.5 PRC

Ekorrpilot

Hello All,

Newcomer to rifle reloading here, just getting set up. I'm looking for a recommendation for solid bullet manufacturer to load up the 6.5 PRC with an eye towards use on elk and hoping to get heavier than the Hornady 143 ELD-X. Rifle is a Seekins Element, which allows for a COAL up to 3.14" but only has a 1:8 twist, so it seems like that eliminates a lot of the heavier bullets that require faster. I have heard great things about Hammer Bullets, but wondering what else folks are liking for accuracy and terminal ballistics. I have some H4831 and StaBall HD so far. Thank you!

Berger, Nosler Accubond Long Range, Hammer (more limited by barrel twist than lead core bullets), ELDM, and more. Lots of choices and lots of opinions. I recommend finding your preference in bullet construction, find your options with that in mind, and then test those that fit your parameters in your gun to see how they shoot.

Hello All,

Newcomer to rifle reloading here, just getting set up. I'm looking for a recommendation for solid bullet manufacturer to load up the 6.5 PRC with an eye towards use on elk and hoping to get heavier than the Hornady 143 ELD-X. Rifle is a Seekins Element, which allows for a COAL up to 3.14" but only has a 1:8 twist, so it seems like that eliminates a lot of the heavier bullets that require faster. I have heard great things about Hammer Bullets, but wondering what else folks are liking for accuracy and terminal ballistics. I have some H4831 and StaBall HD so far. Thank you!

If by solid…..you're referring to a mono, solid copper expanding bullet, Hammer's are building a great reputation.

There are several to choose from, but I'm only familiar with Barnes. We (wife and I) have used them exclusively for hunting since the early '90's!

Other than the mono's giving up some BC numbers to other types/manufacture bullets …..they work incredibly well from the muzzle to the distance at which they fall below their reliable expansion velocity! JMO

Our shot opportunities can range from near point blank to farther than I will consider shooting. I don't want a bullet that has a high propensity of fragmenting/ failing at very close range or upon hitting heavy, solid bone! memtb

If by solid…..you're referring to a mono, solid copper expanding bullet, Hammer's are building a great reputation.

There are several to choose from, but I'm only familiar with Barnes. We (wife and I) have used them exclusively for hunting since the early '90's!

Other than the mono's giving up some BC numbers to other types/manufacture bullets …..they work incredibly well from the muzzle to the distance at which they fall below their reliable expansion velocity! JMO

Our shot opportunities can range from near point blank to farther than I will consider shooting. I don't want a bullet that has a high propensity of fragmenting/ failing at very close range or upon hitting heavy, solid bone! memtb
Yes indeed, I am looking for a monometal construction. Thank you!

Badlands precision BD2- great BC but very long, whole thread on them here is why I'm on this forum.
PVA Cayuga- I haven't seen a whole lot of feedback on these, but have yet to see anything negative. They compete fairly well for BC with the BD2s.
Hammers- Very good rep for terminal performance, and better muzzle velocity than similar weight bullets, but they have the BC of a brick (most drive band bullets do, they trade good BC for higher velocity).
Barnes - the big name brand for monos, generally have a good rep.
McGuire- I've seen very little on them, but they seem to have good reports. They are about twice as expensive as anything else which has stopped me from trying them yet.

This is a small list, theres a lot of monos out there but the ones I listed are the brands that stand out to me. With monos you'll always be lighter than lead core bullets for the same twist, but you'll also almost always have better penetration.

For what reasons are you wanting a mono?

Do you want the bullet to stay together or come apart inside the animal?

What is your realistic max hunting distance on an elk?

As for accuracy, see photo for what Hammer Hunters (6.5 Creed 124gr HH) can do in accuracy department. I cannot elaborate on game performance yet, but many others here can.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-19 16:10:33.362648.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-19 16:10:33.362648.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 47
For what reasons are you wanting a mono?

Do you want the bullet to stay together or come apart inside the animal?

What is your realistic max hunting distance on an elk?
Hej Adam, I am hoping for the bullet to retain its mass for penetration, following the advice of an experienced friend who kills a lot of elk--albeit with a .338. I expect I would be within 800 yards, at least with my current skill level.

Both 140 Bergers and 124 Hammers have performed wonderfully in my 2 PRCs. Both on paper and on game. Wouldn't hesitate to use either. FWIW, my Seekins PH2 loves the 124HH.

My brother shot a medium sized bull elk 3 times with 143 ELDx factory loads out of his 6.5PRC this year and the first 2 barely expanded, if at all. The 3rd shot was frontal, hitting some bone and did a ton of damage. Shot distance 50 to 70ish yards on all 3. Head scratching performance.

Last edited:
Both 140 Bergers and 124 Hammers have performed wonderfully in my 2 PRCs. Both on paper and on game. Wouldn't hesitate to use either. FWIW, my Seekins PH2 loves the 124HH.

My brother shot a medium sized bull elk 3 times with 143 ELDx factory loads out of his 6.5PRC this year and the first 2 barely expanded, if at all. The 3rd shot was frontal, hitting some bone and did a ton of damage. Shot distance 50 to 70ish yards on all 3. Head scratching performance.

On the ELD X performance…..the only thing that surprises me, was the first two barely expanding!

I'm guess'n that, while certainly not needed with this placement, penetration was relatively shallow! At least that was my test (non-approved) tests with a 143 in a CM at 30 yards! memtb