SMK modification for hunting?

Has anyone tried modifying Matchkings by trimming the meplat to more like the gamekings? I would figure with a larger meplat and the thinner jacket of the Matchking, it should open well at lower velocities and longer ranges. The 125 gr SMKs in a 300 blackout would be prime example for low velocity longer range expansion.

I haven't heard of anybody doing that specifically for a hunting application. I've personally used the 175 SMK out of a .308 Win with very nice results (two or three steps before droping, mature mule deer) but the shot placement was good also. When using match bullets, or any bullet, shot placement is the critical factor. FWIW, I don't think Sierra recommends the SMK's for hunting so if you do use them, make sure of your shot placement and I think you'll be fine with the SMK's as they are out of the box. Mine opened up just fine on the muley.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.