.338 300grain SMK for hunting

RH300UM

I am in the preliminary steps of having Kirby Allen build me a.338 Allen Mag.This rifle will be used primarily for big game hunting with some local compitions to keep my skill level up. My worries are with the SMK being too thin jacketed to punch through bones of a bull elk or moose at 1000+ yards.Even Sierra advises not to use this bullet for hunting.Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Were they broadside or quatering shots? How far? Shoulder shots? Heart lung shots? Did they pas through the animal come apart?

ThanKs
Group shooting is the best therapy!!!!

Both broadside, 520 yards and 508yds, 8000ft altitude, 3300fps muzzle velocity. The first (520 yds) was a BIG cow, shot behind the front shoulder in the heart. No exit wound, 1/2 the heart was blown out the entrance wound! Entrance wound was big enough to put a baseball into, fragments against far skin. Second (508yds) hit high shoulder, took 3 vertebrae out opposite side!

It isn't a "hunting bullet", but 300grains of lead (I don't really care what shape) is going to put a hurt on an animal when it hits with the authority of the 338 Allen Magnum or the Edge.

I've read that pointing the bullet, or opening the meplat can have significant changes in the 'on game' performance.

AJ

Thanks for the info . It helps.Anybody else have any results with the SMK? I am looking for LONG range (1000) yards experienced results.Where I live and hunt 1000+ yard shots are frequent.

Outstanding!!! One shot at1016 yards with a none bonded "target" bullet on a black bear. One of the toughest animals I've shot.Anyone else got a story to share on the SMK? How much does this rifle weigh(Idaho Law)?

Last edited:
Seeing as how Shawn is one of them there, or was, and hangs out with the LLE fellas I'm confident it under 15# all up.

Kirby can do it, also. It requires light stocks, such as Manner's or other light weight stocks but its easily done, by those guys.

Just noticed your in BlackfootRoyInIdaho.Iam in Cache valley. I would like more info on your rifle setup if that is ok?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.