SMK 197gr .284/7mm

I tried them out of my 28 nosler which has a 1 in 8 twist barrel on it, used Reloader 33, they shot about 1/2 MOA from my rifle and averaged 2970 fps. Im sure I can get a little more speed out of them, just haven't had a chance to play with them again.

I tried them out of my 28 nosler which has a 1 in 8 twist barrel on it, used Reloader 33, they shot about 1/2 MOA from my rifle and averaged 2970 fps. Im sure I can get a little more speed out of them, just haven't had a chance to play with them again.
Decent velocity, what I was looking for. Had you tried them at distance out to 1000yds/m?

I tried them in a couple 28 Nolsers. Had pretty decent results with them. Had some horizontal stringing, but still not bad.
Nosler brass
CCI BR2
88.0 RL33
3105fps

200 yard groups

Played with the seating depth a bit

I have shot them in a 7mm Ultra Rogue. they shoot well I loaded them exactly like the 195 Berger. the only problem is i hunt with that rifle and dont shoot it much (barrel life) and i wont hunt with the 197 because it is pointed

I have shot them in a 7mm Ultra Rogue. they shoot well I loaded them exactly like the 195 Berger. the only problem is i hunt with that rifle and dont shoot it much (barrel life) and i wont hunt with the 197 because it is pointed
Don't let that necessarily deter you. I have shot several big game animals with pointed SMKs.
6.5mm 142, 6.5mm 150, 7mm 183.
Try them on a coyote and see how they do.

Don't let that necessarily deter you. I have shot several big game animals with pointed SMKs.
6.5mm 142, 6.5mm 150, 7mm 183.
Try them on a coyote and see how they do.
I will do. thanx
edit , may be just the ticket i need with that rifle , it is blowin the 195 up :(

I have slowed it down to 3180 and still at over 300 yards no exit and destroys the bullet just pieces recovered, now it drt'd both deer i shot with ot this year but it was messy

Edit now dont get me wrong i am not ready to jump ship on the 195 but it just has me thinkin. I wish berger would have built it on the same jacket thickneness as the 180 , i have shot it north of 3300 and it seems to do better

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.