Small Rifle Primers

I never said anything about hang fires. I'm just trying to learn more about it. SRP were for 223 Rem style cartridges when I got into reloading and LRP were for everything else basically. Times have changed and now you're seeing SRP brass on cartridges that use to be LRP only. Just trying to understand what changed and see how it works. After all the shortages, it would be nice to have a rifle or two that is in the 50gr capacity that uses SRP, to have the ability to shoot more if that's all the components you can get. Just trying to get all the information I can about before getting a rifle and/or a barrel for a cartridge I can use SRP in.

Remington 308 SRP thinwall brass, UBBR, for forming into various BR type cases came out in the 1970's, and it was used to form numerous type of cases, mostly for precision shooting; 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, short and standard 308 BR, etc, etc. So while it is not a new thing, it is relatively newer in some of the manufacturers in standard commercial brass.

I never said anything about hang fires. I'm just trying to learn more about it. SRP were for 223 Rem style cartridges when I got into reloading and LRP were for everything else basically. Times have changed and now you're seeing SRP brass on cartridges that use to be LRP only. Just trying to understand what changed and see how it works. After all the shortages, it would be nice to have a rifle or two that is in the 50gr capacity that uses SRP, to have the ability to shoot more if that's all the components you can get. Just trying to get all the information I can about before getting a rifle and/or a barrel for a cartridge I can use SRP in.
Brisance, a fancy name for heat, is the main concern when talking primers, but in recent times, it has become widely known that a SRP used in a case as a replacement to LRP increases case life and does improve ES/SD numbers as the smaller flash hole in conjunction with the gained surface area within the case, pressurise the case differently by increasing start pressure. The 6.5x47 and all the PPC based cartridges have proven this, including the BR, BRA and others.
In other words, you have stable brass right from the get-go that doesn't change as much as does LRP brass in the same case head size.

Cheers.

Recent Posts