Slugs - which one is the most accurate and best penetration from a smooth bore?

geo4061

I have a Versa Max 3.5" with an EO Tech on it that I have been shooting buckshot for hogs and coyotes. I love it. However, I want to try to kill multiples under bait at 75 to 100 yards. Buckshot and a 308 aren't great for this when you want to take down multiples. Just too many wounded that you can't find. With the knock down power and penetration of a slug I want to see how many I can kill with one shot DRT.

For rifled slugs, I've tried the Federal power shocks, Rem sluggers 3", and Win super-X in my Mossberg 535 with a modified choke. The Winchester Super-X slugs grouped the best. About a 2" group at 50 yards.

Personally I don't think you'll need the full 3.5", a 2 3/4 is plenty I would think. As previously stated they're just like a rifle and some will work better that others. Where I'm at these are all we can use for firearm deer so bear with me. Anytime we've ever shot slugs from a "field barrel" results weren't great. Even smooth bore if you can find a 18-20" barrel it will be much better and usually way more accurate with the shorter barrels. I've tried just about all of them but Brennekes hands down the best IMO and all I've used for the last 25yrs or so. 12ga slugs have tremendous impact energy. I can't imagine a hog walking away from one.

I suggest trying Hammerhead slugs from Rich Knoster at Slugsrus. Easy to load, I have been using these slugs for over 20 years with incredible success. In 1:36 twist barrels expect one hole groups at 50 yards and impressive groups at 100 yards. I don't have any experience with smooth bore but I bet they will be fine. Suggest calling and speak to Rich, one of the most knowledgeable slug guys on the planet. The best thing is you have complete control over the consistency of the slug performance no different than metallic reloading.
LINK: SlugsRUs

I shot a lot of Boar in Europe using Brenneke slugs. Out of a smooth bore you will find it hard to get another that shoots as well or kills as well and I have tried pretty much all the makes. You will get great performance out of the 2 3/4 and way faster second shoot recovery from the lower recoil. Personally, at 100 or more yards I prefer the 45-70 loaded with 350 grain Hornady RN at 1500 FPS. Fast out of the lever and more than enough for any hog. Better penetration than slugs at distance. Best of luck on the hunts.

Brenneke slugs are the best for smoothe barrels. You also may want to check on a rifled choke to open up some options. Lightfield slugs are devastating too.
The only issue with rifled chokes that I tried is they actually group foster type slugs worse than the smooth barrel. Before I paid the cost of a rifled choke I would just buy an extra rifled barrel and shoot sabots. I have to admit however that I never shot a rifled choke with sabots against a rifled barrel for comparison but I have trouble seeing three inches of rifling being anywhere near as effective as a rifled barrel.

Foster slugs have rifling molded into them, thus fighting the rifling in the choke tube... makes sense why they shot bad. The browning bolt action slug gun only uses a rifled choke tube and they are reasonably accurate. My preference is a fully rifled cantilever scope mount barrel with a 2-7 leupold.
FWIW foster slugs prefer the most open choke tube you have (ic or cylinder)

For all things shotgun these guys at Ballistic Products rule in my experience. I've been using their products for 20+years now. Being able to match your load to the shotgun and task is where they help and support. Reloading info,tools and products are great. Where they rise above most is the actual experience they convey.
Loads meant for a semi auto vs a pump and so on. Great knowledge base about shotguns and loading for them

Well, that video convinced me to try a Carlson choke rifled choke tube. The Hastings and the Browning ones I tried definitley didn't do that with Foster slugs..

I have a Versa Max 3.5" with an EO Tech on it that I have been shooting buckshot for hogs and coyotes. I love it. However, I want to try to kill multiples under bait at 75 to 100 yards. Buckshot and a 308 aren't great for this when you want to take down multiples. Just too many wounded that you can't find. With the knock down power and penetration of a slug I want to see how many I can kill with one shot DRT.

Brenneke 12 Gauge 2 3/4" Rifled Slug 1 1/8 oz

Muzzle velocity: 1,510 fps
Muzzle energy: 2,460 ft/lbs

Works great in my H&K M3 very accurate for a smooth bore, and more than enough punch. You most likely really won't need a 3" inch. I've shot these out past 100 yards they are wicked. Good luck.

Benilli M3 1.jpg
Benilli M3 2.jpg