Slow start to the 2014 season

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by Tikkamike, May 27, 2014.

1. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I have only had my bait out for 12 days but as of yesterday still nothing. There is a ton of snow and the game warden said they suspect the bears are sleeping late this year due to all the snow. I believe it, because we have a female quota of 8 and we are half way through the season and only one has been killed. I dont know anyone who has had any action on their baits, Hopefully this next weekend they are up and looking for food. I have almost 300 lbs of feed sitting in my barrel waiting for them to show up!. I did have some elk and coyote pics on my bait which was kinda cool... I guess I will take that as a constellation prize. Anyone else been having any luck on bears? I have a buddy in Idaho that has had a few encounters and a few being taken in montana as well I hear.

2. bayedup7

bayedup7 Well-Known Member

On May 4th In North Idaho I was able to take this bear at 558 yards with my Defensive Edge 338 Edge and 300gr Elite Hunters recovery was less than 20 yards.

Attached Files:

3. Tikkamike

looks like a big ole bear

4. 300 ultra

300 ultra Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing

5. porkchop401

porkchop401 Well-Known Member

Saw my first cinnonmin bear this morning to bad it was in a state park trying to clean our grill.
    I suspect they would have frowned on me pulling out the 300 !gun)

6. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful bear.

Me...I can never get it right. On May 6th, I shot a wimpy 5 foot bear at 200 yards and recovery was 500 yards.

7. Tikkamike

Finally got some bear action! I havent been in to check the camera because I havent been able to get there in the morning ( i dont like to go in the evening cause I dont want to bump/fight a bear) I will be going up again tomorrow night to sit on the bait then my buddy brian will be here friday and we will hunt this weekend and next week for a few days if need be

8. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

git' er done Mike! I've waiting on your "no big deal, just another trophy bear" thread. I Always look forward to hearing about your bear season.