2014 fall Bait Sets *update*

Tikkamike

I was able to get up on the hill yesterday afternoon and get my bait out. I added a bait site this season at about 8500-9000 feet. I forgot to check exact elevation. but its significantly higher than my other one.

With the old bait nothing new, other than I didnt hang a drip bag or any scent other than whats in the barrel which is the standard livestock 3way feed and a beaver. I am a huge believer in scent but I honestly just forgot to order another drip bag and didnt bring any other scents. But this site is so well established I have no doubt itll be crawling with bears within a week.. One thing I did change is each bait has a camera on picture mode and one on video mode. Here are a couple pics of the first bait

The next bait as stated above is totally new. I was able to find a great looking spot in some darker timber with good visability and easy acess. But its tucked back in a hole so the feeling of security and cover should be very present. Here are a couple pics.

Picture from camera angle #1

Picture from Camera Angle #2

This shot if you look closely you can see both of my cameras to get an idea of how the whole thing is set up.

The drip bag at the second bait is about 10 feet up in the tree.

and the shot to the second bait from where I plan to sit is about 400 yards. I didnt range it but its right in there somewhere.

Re: 2014 fall Bait Sets

That bear you showed me was amazing buddy. Baits look great. I sure hope you smoke him. I want some measurements...

So far the lower bait is a huge success. The quickest I had ever had a bear come into the baif after setting it up for the season was 4 days, this season that record was shattered! they were is 4 hours after I set it up which is unheard of around here. I put a total of 200 lbs of food in it and (because of a hole they ate in the back of my barrel) I can see from the cameras the barrel was empty in 4 days. Typically that much feed lasts close to week and a half -2 weeks. I hunted the bait opening day and a sow with 2 cubs came in, looked in the barrel and left. I assumed they were just checking on it I never dreamed it was empty. I went up the next day to check both baits and pour another 100 lbs in each (which is when I discovered it was empty) so I put another 150 lbs in and put some scent out. Then went to the brand new bait up high. It still hasnt been touched but I gave it the remaining 50 lbs anyway. I checked my cards and had 13000 still pictures and 1hour and 42 minutes worth of 30 second bear videos. some cool stuff on there. a lot of juvenile bears that will square 5.5 and 6 foot but nothing too exciting other than they all look great. then there are a couple that are pretty dang nice. My giant color phase isnt around so far that I have seen so attention has shifted a little to the guy in the pictures below.

not sure which is which in this picture because its a little blurry but these are the 2 bigger bears I have this fall. I have several pics from several days where one of them is standing in the grass in the back ground, but they are never in together. I am guessing they are rivals rather than liter mates based on size. I dont think they would still be traveling together.. **time stamp on camera is wrong so dont pay attention to the date. but the time is correct**

next day same thing bear on bait bear in the back ground.

. My giant color phase isnt around so far that I have seen.

If you were here, I'd say the late, deep, snow pack has the berry crop a little behind. I'm not sure what they feed on in the Bighorns this time of year, but your big bear got the best spot first, and may still be in the best of what's left. Tough to pull a big bear off naturals because of that.

Everybody looks cozy in the pictures another indication the big boar isn't around much/yet.

He will be back if he can, you just have to play it out based on what kind of time you've got. I know the quota thing can be a bit of a curve ball for you.

I like your setup. I see your barrel is chained to the tree with the three holes near the top. Do you have anything in the bottom of the barrel so they can get to the food in the bottom? Or has that ever even been an issue?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts