SKUNK

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We had a Cold Front move into our area last night. Lots of rain and temps dropping, northern area may see some snow tonight.

Cassie started barking about 15 minutes ago so thought someone pulled into our driveway. I went to the door for the garage and Cassie could not wait to get out. As soon as I opened the door there was a strong smell of SKUNK! Cassie ran around Jill's vehicle that was parked in the garage (about 1/2 hour ago) and there was a SKUNK eating Oreo's cat food.

Cassie Growled, but did not advance and luck has it that I grabbed her collar. The SKUNK just looked at us, not seeming afraid, turned around and hobbled out of the garage, into the rain, and into the woods. Just missed a major catastrophe.

I pulled Cassie back into the house and told Jill. Jill said "O Yeah" I saw a SKUNK in the woods when I came back from shopping and forgot to tell you. Left the garage door open to get the groceries out of the back of the SUV. Was an opportunity for Peppy to come in for dinner!

Guess we are lucky that the animals like us. Jill has been feeding some feral cats, Racoons. Possums, and yes sometimes Skunks over the years.
Edward our dog got sprayed 15 years ago and don't ever want to go through that again. Just being in the area where the scent molecules are in the air will contaminate your clothing.
Never a dull moment living in our home.

We have had many skunks in our rural neighborhood over the past month. At least 5 have been trapped and relocated far from our home. So far our dog only barks and stays out of reach of spray.
I heard that you can trap them in a LIVE Trap. They can't spray if they can't lift their tail in the upright position. If they go into a LIVE trap (as long as it is small enough) it prevents the SKUNK from raising it's tail and can't spray.

It is skunk season, they are roaming right now. Thank goodness you all didn't get sprayed. My wife has called me Weird a few times in our going on 30yrs together. One of the reasons is I like the smell of Skunk, I know now you will think I'm Weird. But if you don't tell anybody, just you and my wife will think that. 🦡🤫

It is skunk season, they are roaming right now. Thank goodness you all didn't get sprayed. My wife has called me Weird a few times in our going on 30yrs together. One of the reasons is I like the smell of Skunk, I know now you will think I'm Weird. But if you don't tell anybody, just you and my wife will think that. 🦡🤫
You can always change your name on LRH!

I heard that you can trap them in a LIVE Trap. They can't spray if they can't lift their tail in the upright position. If they go into a LIVE trap (as long as it is small enough) it prevents the SKUNK from raising it's tail and can't spray.
I don't know bout the whole raising their tail stuff . I have however caught more than my fair share and probably a dozen other fellas share in live traps . So far to this day I've yet to be sprayed by one in a live trap. Fingers crossed here. The old guy that lived down the road from me when I was growing up said as long as you don't scare them in a trap they won't spray
A lady in town called one day something kept getting in her trash , so I went and set a live trap . The next morning she called frantically saying it was a skunk . By the time I got there she'd threw a sheet over the trap . Ol mr skunk sprayed big time . She'd scared him and he sprayed . I left her sheet and put trap and him in the truck and moved him to greener pastures.

In my younger days we backpacked throughout the smokies. We we're in the ice water springs trail shelter, I'm in the top bunk and a teenage girl is in the bottom! About two in the morning a skunk had wedged itself in the shelter and was sniffing about which woke me. It went up to a teenage girl who I didn't know, so had no way to know how she was about to react when it started pulling on her hair. I'm thinking please God don't let her wake up! He must have heard my plea, because she swatted at it and it waddled away. I got up and jammed up the hole it came in! Woke up some of them asking me what I was doing! I replied, I'm averting disaster.

My luck ran out this morning. My brown lab saw a skunk and the chase was on. He turned away after getting an indirect spray, but still wreaks. I'm not looking forward to scrubbing the stinky boy.
OMG
So sorry to hear that. There are many "Folk Lure" Wives Tales" cleaning applications.
Let us know what you used? I can't remember what we did the last time Edward got sprayed, but do know it took a long time to get rid of the residual smell.

My luck ran out this morning. My brown lab saw a skunk and the chase was on. He turned away after getting an indirect spray, but still wreaks. I'm not looking forward to scrubbing the stinky boy.
Reminds me of the foulest smelling dog I've ever experienced. When I was in high school, my dad worked on a big ranch during the week and had a loft type house out there. One year they got overran with skunks, we'd shoot them off the balcony and drive around spotlighting all night plugging away at them.

His basset hound found a dead one mid summer that was rotten and still wreaked of skunk. She rolled in it. From head to tail she was covered in the odor. I didn't go see dad for at least a month!

OMG
So sorry to hear that. There are many "Folk Lure" Wives Tales" cleaning applications.
Let us know what you used? I can't remember what we did the last time Edward got sprayed, but do know it took a long time to get rid of the residual smell.
There are many " Folk Lure " Wives Tales"
Dawn dish washing liquid, to clean. Rinse well, then rinse with concentrated Lemon juice mixed in 5gal. bucket of water. 🤓

Its a bit expensive, but get couple of big bottles of tomato juice, rub it on him while bathing. Let it set few minutes. Works wonders.