Sizing New Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by riverrat13, Apr 14, 2018.

1. riverrat13

riverrat13 Member

For the guys who typically FL Resize, what do you do to your new brass?

- Load as it comes
    - Neck Size only for New Brass
    - FL Size New Brass

I am using Redding FL Bushing Dies but I am considering purchasing Neck Sizing Dies just for neck uniformity on brand new brass. Thoughts?

2. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Run it through your FL sizer since it will have no effect other than truing the neck if it is out of round.

3. tbrice23

tbrice23 Well-Known Member

Yep.^^
    I'll chamfer the neck ID also. I don't even trim till after the first firing.

Tidus56 likes this.
  4. 243winxb

243winxb Well-Known Member

It there is enough neck tension to hold the bullets and the new brass chambers. Try a few.

If the case mouth is out of round, lightly bump it with the expander. Load boattail bullets

I do this with 243 win brass made by Rem & Win.

5. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

FL size it. You will touch nothing but the neck if your dies are set for your chamber already. Plus, you will now have the same neck tension as you will with all of your future loadings on FL sized brass.

L.Sherm likes this.
  6. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Generally, I have found the necks of new brass to be tighter then my !X+ fired loads. If this is the case, i’ll run an expander through them using either my FL or NS dye. I won’t trim until I get at least one firing.

Dosh and lancetkenyon like this.
  7. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

New brass is worthless to me, I’ll load them with cheap bullets and powder and fire them. I don’t look for accuracy, I don’t even care if the necks were out of round.

tbrice23 likes this.
  8. oldfortyfiveauto

oldfortyfiveauto Well-Known Member

If they will chamber ok, I run an expander mandrel or neck size them and chamfer. Next go around I trim and anneal.

9. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

13, different brands of brass need different preparation. Nosler and Norma usually are ready to load with the exception of the necks which could benefit from Greyfox's suggestion. Some brands need primer pockets, flash holes and length uniformity attention. I didn't mention Lapua brass since I don't load any of their calibers, but it's a premium brass. Good luck

TwoMore and RockyMtnMT like this.
  10. g0rd0

g0rd0 Well-Known Member

me I don't bother with new brass. I buy 10 boxes of federal ammo at a time bring them to the range and kill a bunch of paper. When finished I have 200 pieces of fire formed brass. Witch around here is far cheeper than buying new brass, primers, powder and bullets just to fire form.
    Just an idea that works for me

11. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Yeah....but then you are stuck with using Federal brass.... ;)

Dosh and gohring3006 like this.
  12. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

All my loads use either Lapua or Norma brass. All except one of my “New brass” have necks .002- .004 tighter then my load. Interestingly, the unfired/new 6.5x47 Lapua Brass is dimensionally identical to my fired brass with the same MV, ES, and accuracy as my fired brass. Wish they all were like that.

lancetkenyon likes this.
  13. Graymun

Graymun New Member

I bought some new Winchester brass I could hardly get the primers in, was actually denting the primers to get them in. I bought a tool and fixed them. Only happened with one bag of 50

14. oldfortyfiveauto

oldfortyfiveauto Well-Known Member

FYI...Starline's rifle brass seems to be pretty decent. Just got some 6.5 Grendel and it's surprisingly consistent for length and primer pockets.