Sizing New Brass

No not necessarily. Turn the die out (counter clockwise) in the press 3-4 full turns, and lock it down. Then seat a bullet. It will have a much longer coal than before. Now start adjusting the screw in the die further in, and keep pressing the bullet in a little bit further in small steps. Keep doing this and measuring your coal, until you reach your desired coal. Once you reach your desired coal, lock the screw down. I bet this fixes your issue.

No not necessarily. Turn the die out (counter clockwise) in the press 3-4 full turns, and lock it down. Then seat a bullet. It will have a much longer coal than before. Now start adjusting the screw in the die further in, and keep pressing the bullet in a little bit further in small steps. Keep doing this and measuring your coal, until you reach your desired coal. Once you reach your desired coal, lock the screw down. I bet this fixes your issue.

Cheers mate! I appreciate the advice from everyone here, such a wealth of knowledge. ill get back in front of the bench tonight and let you all know how i do.
For guys like myself just starting out with the longer range stuff, its an amazing leg up being able to refer to this forum for advice and technical info.

For your troubles, i have attached a picture of the new build (on a budget)
Howa 1500 .243 - 24" varmint barrel 1:10 (will be rebarreling to a 1:8 .243AI eventually).
GRS Berserk stock.
Wild dog detachable mag & bottom metal.
1lb trigger spring conversion.
Nightforce 20MOA rail.
Vortex precision matched rings.
Sightron Siii 6-24x50 scope.
Wheeler engineering anti cant level.
Harris Bipod.
IMG_3131.JPG

Love it. I'm a big fan of the Howa's. Very underrated rifles. I have a 243 howa, that was my first deer rifle. I've seen it kill 20+ deer. I love it to this day. I have great luck with the berger 95 gr classic hunters and H4350 powder. Good luck with your loads. As long as those pieces of brass still chamber with no issues, you can still shoot them. They'll grow to the chamber size, and straighten themselves back out. If they chamber funny though, I would NOT shoot them. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Love it. I'm a big fan of the Howa's. Very underrated rifles. I have a 243 howa, that was my first deer rifle. I've seen it kill 20+ deer. I love it to this day. I have great luck with the berger 95 gr classic hunters and H4350 powder. Good luck with your loads. As long as those pieces of brass still chamber with no issues, you can still shoot them. They'll grow to the chamber size, and straighten themselves back out. If they chamber funny though, I would NOT shoot them. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Im trying the .95gr VLD hunting with AR2209 powder. will let you know how it goes. they still chamber fine, no resistance at all. ill load a new batch with the lengthened die as to ensure it doesnt contact the brass as you have suggested for load development purposes. ill either shoot the current batch off or pull them to resize. Thanks again for your help.

One easy way to check if the seating die is making contact with the case as PowellSixO suggests is to put one of your new unloaded cases into your press and slowly run it into your seating die. If the die is screwed too far down you will get to a point where you feel resistance on your press handle. Unless you want to crimp your projectiles which I doubt you do there should be no resistance at all. If the die is set up correctly it should feel the same as if there is no case in the shell holder. Looking at your powder choice would I be correct in thinking you are from Australia or NZ?

One easy way to check if the seating die is making contact with the case as PowellSixO suggests is to put one of your new unloaded cases into your press and slowly run it into your seating die. If the die is screwed too far down you will get to a point where you feel resistance on your press handle. Unless you want to crimp your projectiles which I doubt you do there should be no resistance at all. If the die is set up correctly it should feel the same as if there is no case in the shell holder. Looking at your powder choice would I be correct in thinking you are from Australia or NZ?

You would be correct in your assumption. From brisbane, queensland, australia!

C2FCC6C5-66BC-400B-BCFF-CA5A084B712F.jpeg
Thank you again everyone for their input on helping solve my little drama.
I wound the seating die out a little father and managed to get a OAL of 71.90mm without pressing on the neck and causing the bulge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.