Sizing consistency after annealing

Ekupp

My primary goal in annealing is to get consistent full length sizing. What I have noticed with certain sets of brass is that after annealing 70% of cases will be +/- .0005" of my target. 15% will be stubborn and not size and 15% will under size by .002-.004.

As an experiment I kept annealing the stubborn pieces for .1s longer till I got them to the proper size.

So, am I not annealing long enough or am I annealing too long and starting to get 15% that are too relaxed with the stubborn ones just needing to get adjusted to the baseline of the batch?

I've seen this with annealed brass. I see it more with many times fired (5-6x) in my 6.5 PRC Lapua. Some will just be harder to size. I even tried annealing those a little more (like 4-5 numbers higher on the AMP) and still the same. I haven't seen it with my 6.5 Creed Lapua brass.

I've seen this with annealed brass. I see it more with many times fired (5-6x) in my 6.5 PRC Lapua. Some will just be harder to size. I even tried annealing those a little more (like 4-5 numbers higher on the AMP) and still the same. I haven't seen it with my 6.5 Creed Lapua brass.
Do you think the harder to size ones were fired at one point at max/over pressure while doing load development?

Mine were certainly the same number of firings and none of that brass had ever been shot to pressure. I've been running that gun slow.

Interestingly, I found internal doughnuts on that brass after five shots, too.

Mine were certainly the same number of firings and none of that brass had ever been shot to pressure. I've been running that gun slow.

Interestingly, I found internal doughnuts on that brass after five shots, too.
Solutions for doughnuts that I'm aware of 1) reaming neck ID, 2) Mandrel sizing of neck ID along with neck turning.

My primary goal in annealing is to get consistent full length sizing. What I have noticed with certain sets of brass is that after annealing 70% of cases will be +/- .0005" of my target. 15% will be stubborn and not size and 15% will under size by .002-.004.

As an experiment I kept annealing the stubborn pieces for .1s longer till I got them to the proper size.

So, am I not annealing long enough or am I annealing too long and starting to get 15% that are too relaxed with the stubborn ones just needing to get adjusted to the baseline of the batch?
Just to clarify your "target", are you measuring neck ID, case overall length, headspace (shoulder bump), or something else after annealing and re-sizing?

This is what a lot of us see. You don't need to anneal brass longer. In a group of brass, some are just stubborn. You bump them shoulders .002 from fired size and the ones that don't go along with the program, you save for the last and screw your sizing die in a bit and size them the same too. This happens to all of us.