Sitka owners, please help...

Bigeclipse

All,
I just purchased the Fanatic Jacket and bibs (not the fanatic lite). My goal is to have a system which I can wear from late October into mid/Late November (temps from 40F-20s). I do get slightly colder than most and have been known to wear heavier stuff than my friends. I would like to purchase a mid layer to wear under the fanatic series. My options are things like the Celsius shacket, the celcius jacket, the Fanatic hoody or the fanatic vest. I purchased an xxl Fanatic Jacket and bibs in order to have some room to layer (the xl was just a bit too snug for any real layers). As an FYI I am not worried about bulk in the arms as by the time it is that cold I am no longer using a regular bow (crossbow starts Nov1st and rifle starts in the November teens) which is why I'm highly considering the Fanatic Hoody or the Celsius Jacket which will give me an additional outside piece if I would like to use them as that. thoughts?

Merino wool long johns and probably the hoodie under the jacket is where I'd start.

If you can keep your head, hands, feet, and mid to lower back warm it's amazing how comfortable you can be.

The last thing you want to do is overdress resulting in getting sweaty while moving and then becoming sedentary in a hide/blind etc. That's when you'll really get cold.

It may sound kinda "girly" but once you get to where you're going a bivvy bag or breathable poncho and poncho liner over it all will make a huge difference.

Down is awesome. I am in Virginia and the temps don't get super cold but it is very damp and can be rainy so I stay more to the synthetics. They don't last as long as a good down puffy but I am fearful of it getting wet and being a sponge. Depending on your climate I guess.

I prefer the stratus vest with either 1/2 zip midweight or fanatic hoodie. Stratus pants are awesome too

All,
I just purchased the Fanatic Jacket and bibs (not the fanatic lite). My goal is to have a system which I can wear from late October into mid/Late November (temps from 40F-20s). I do get slightly colder than most and have been known to wear heavier stuff than my friends. I would like to purchase a mid layer to wear under the fanatic series. My options are things like the Celsius shacket, the celcius jacket, the Fanatic hoody or the fanatic vest. I purchased an xxl Fanatic Jacket and bibs in order to have some room to layer (the xl was just a bit too snug for any real layers). As an FYI I am not worried about bulk in the arms as by the time it is that cold I am no longer using a regular bow (crossbow starts Nov1st and rifle starts in the November teens) which is why I'm highly considering the Fanatic Hoody or the Celsius Jacket which will give me an additional outside piece if I would like to use them as that. thoughts?

I've got an entire Sitka set up that has worked very well in warm and cold weather hunting antelope, mule deer and elk.
Any of their merino wool core are great "thermal underwear"
I have both the Mountain and Timberline pants and wear the Timberline when it's colder
The Traverse zip-tee is a must, can be worn alone on hot days or as a layer when cold
Kelvin Lite vest when it's colder and easily removed and packed away if it gets too warm
Jet Stream jacket is another must
The Kelvin Down Hoody and Kelvin Lite pants are a must if you're going to be in cold weather. They pack down small and the pants have full length zippers so you can put them over your pants without taking you boots off. Great if you are sitting and glassing. You won't get cold.
This set up has worked really well for me. Super versatile, moisture wicking, light, and the ability to shed layers or add layers as needed.

Also, you may want to look at Kuiu. It's great stuff too (should be since the guy that invented Sitka gear is the one that owns Kuiu since he sold Sitka to Goretex)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.