Silicone socks for in safe storage

I just got a silicone sock to store my Ruger Blackhawk with a 10.5 inch barrel in. I could not find a pistol case long enough for it. I got it mainly for scratch and bump protection as we don't have a lot of moisture in the air around here. After @ 26Reload made the comment about the butt pad getting gooey, I wonder about the Pachmyr grips. Anyone had a problem with this.

Otis Technology makes a long term storage kit, that does 3 rifles, 3 pistols, 3 shotguns for about $50 bucks. Basically 3 kinds of Shooters Choice oils, Rust Prevent and some VCI bags,( Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor.), gloves micro fiber cloths etc. Works great in safe or not. Mostly makes rigs so they're not effected by humidity in surroundings.

Don't let the impregnated sock touch on your rubber butt pads....
The touching made my Simms get gooey..
Don't know if it harms rigid pads...

Shouldn't need any cleaning of the pistol after installed inside the sock....
I have seen Simms pads do this without anything getting on the pad or use of the socks. I think some types of rubber like material just break down over time. I have seen this on the material used on some shavers and on other rubber like coatings. I think it's just some sort of oxidation.

I'm coming in late on this, but if its long storage, or even guns you're using. Cover them in Renaissance wax. You won't even leave finger prints on them. No moisture can get to the metal. Cover stocks,and all metal parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_122903.jpg
    IMG_20240406_122903.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 16
I just got a silicone sock to store my Ruger Blackhawk with a 10.5 inch barrel in. I could not find a pistol case long enough for it. I got it mainly for scratch and bump protection as we don't have a lot of moisture in the air around here. After @ 26Reload made the comment about the butt pad getting gooey, I wonder about the Pachmyr grips. Anyone had a problem with this.
My Hogue rubber grips on a .357 magnum I have, the duratouch stock on my son's Winchester mdl. 70 all got sticky when wiped down with a clp rag so learned along time ago not to do that. I've read that soft rubber recoil pads will do the same

Humidity is the biggest issue many of us face in certain parts of the country. I tried using the silicon socks for a while, but this introduced other challenges for me. I personally like to inspect guns in storage and pull them out of the safe and apply a fresh coat of protectant at least once per year. Safe dings would be reduced with socks, but I am very careful when removing or placing guns in the safe. My dehumidifier is running 24/7 in my basement. I will brag on this unit. It is 20 years old and still working like a charm.

Your first sentence says it all, here where I live 24% humidity is a wet day, dehumidifing rod in the safe, silica packs scrounged by anyone who knows me in ammo and powder storage cabinets takes care of the rest. Careful separation of firearms in the safe keeps the dings down to zero, one safe wasn't enough to accomplish that so I got another safe. But that's what works for me, if you're in another part of the country, you'll have to deal with the environment at hand

Your first sentence says it all, here where I live 24% humidity is a wet day, dehumidifing rod in the safe, silica packs scrounged by anyone who knows me in ammo and powder storage cabinets takes care of the rest. Careful separation of firearms in the safe keeps the dings down to zero, one safe wasn't enough to accomplish that so I got another safe. But that's what works for me, if you're in another part of the country, you'll have to deal with the environment at hand
You know where I live crashlanding! lol
It's quite a bit more humid here and have been using a rechargeable dehumidifier and have a golden rod that I may decide to use finally.
I will be headed out your way again this year. I was notified of a couple cancellations and couldn't say no. My better half isn't nearly as happy with this news. 🤣

I live in the high and dry fortunately. I'm curious on the philosophy of silicone socks in a safe though. If you have a desiccant or a heat rod in your safe then the environment is dry inside until you open it in a humid place. Problem solved once closed again. A sock is just sealing the gun off from its environment isn't it? More of an item to use for a closet where there's humidity? I don't see how there can be any benefit to wrap a gun in another layer isolating it from the dry air in a safe unless you don't have a desiccant and/or heat rod. But that's just a terrible idea. It seems like it could only trap moisture that would otherwise be absorbed or eliminated inside the safe. I wipe down with G96 maybe once every year or so on guns in my safe not getting used. Maybe. No problems here but that's at 7200 feet. I'm just asking if people still see corrosion on an oiled gun in a dry safe where it's humid.

I'm just asking if people still see corrosion on an oiled gun in a dry safe where it's humid.
OP here. I have a rechargeable dehumidifier in my safe and have never seen any corrosion on any of my firearms, but I do wipe my firearms down with oil periodically. I live in Pa and it's moderately humid here, not like in the south eastern US.
I should have been more informative in my original post and said that I'm mostly looking for ding protection but I would like some rust protection also. I've known people that placed a pistol into a soft case and decided to pull it out of the safe a year later and it was rusted.