Signs of pressure?

Rilow

Do this primer look like cratering or signs of pressure. This is 30-06 sledgehammer bullet. Ram shot big game. Win std primer. Pics of are 56grn of ramshot. At 57.5 gen there is a slight circular mark on case head.
56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
Also 53grn to 56grn all shot in a 1in group at 100 yds. At 57 gen the shot moved off 1.25 higher n to right. What's your opinions on the primer n where would you go next. Also there was no hard bolt lift on any.

Attachments

• 123DD963-51B4-4F2B-94F5-D072271CB168.jpeg
    123DD963-51B4-4F2B-94F5-D072271CB168.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 1B71A6D7-5400-4833-AE25-228D8B3E801D.jpeg
    1B71A6D7-5400-4833-AE25-228D8B3E801D.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 8F37FF07-CCEB-4281-87A7-9A4A79223531.jpeg
    8F37FF07-CCEB-4281-87A7-9A4A79223531.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 253
Do this primer look like cratering or signs of pressure. This is 30-06 sledgehammer bullet. Ram shot big game. Win std primer. Pics of are 56grn of ramshot. At 57.5 gen there is a slight circular mark on case head.
56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
Also 53grn to 56grn all shot in a 1in group at 100 yds. At 57 gen the shot moved off 1.25 higher n to right. What's your opinions on the primer n where would you go next. Also there was no hard bolt lift on any.
Photos are blurry but from what I can see the raised metal around the firing pin is normal unless you have your firing pin hole bushed as far as the round circular Mark on case head that is an injector Mark and that is a sure sign of pressure you need to back down slightly from there

56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
Primers can be deceiving. I have seen a weak striker spring cause this. The ejector mark is a sure sign of high pressure. I measure a new case and when you have .0005 gain in diameter you are close to maximum. Measure just forward of the extraction groove on the solid portion of the head. With normal strength brass it takes 70,000 psi or close to make an ejector mark.

Do you feel that an ejector mark in the absence of heavy bolt lift or any other pressure sigh a reason to back off....especially since it's shooting one hole?

Do you feel that an ejector mark in the absence of heavy bolt lift or any other pressure sigh a reason to back off....especially since it's shooting one hole?
I don't know I'm kinda of new to reloading. I was thinking load more at 56.5 gram being 56 n 57 grn were same Velocity n see how it groups. But wasn't sure about primer at 56grn

Deoends on your gun, you can get a feel for it after some time. One of my guns, I know that once the ridge gets to where I can feel it with my fingernail, that is a pretty stout charge, and I need to back down some. Another gun I have will have the same primer signs on starting loads. Also if you change primers, from say cci to federal or winchester, your primer signs will change as the cjps are different hardness.

The circle mark is a sign of pressure for that brass, but again, can change from one type of brass to another. Hornady will likely show a ejector mark with less pressure than tough lapua brass would. Your limiting factor will be your brass though. If your load is hard on your brass, it may only give you 1-3 fireings before you loose your primer pocket. I would back off a smidge if your seeing an ejector mark.

why again does the r700 make too big of a firing pin hole ?? certainly could have a little tighter tolerance there , dont ya think

my guess is so that all new reloaders come make sure they are safe

;)

Bottom line is you need to check your velocity. If you are getting velocity much over what would be normal for you caliber, bullet weight and barrel length then yes you probably are over pressure. Changing ANYTHING in a load can raise or lower pressure in YOUR rifle. No two rifles are alike. If I tried to use loads in my 264 Win mag like others do it would blow my rifle up. I can achieve the velocity others get with much less powder because my chamber is pretty tight.

Bottom line is you need to check your velocity. If you are getting velocity much over what would be normal for you caliber, bullet weight and barrel length then yes you probably are over pressure. Changing ANYTHING in a load can raise or lower pressure in YOUR rifle. No two rifles are alike. If I tried to use loads in my 264 Win mag like others do it would blow my rifle up. I can achieve the velocity others get with much less powder because my chamber is pretty tight.
Velocity is same at 56 and 57grns of 2729. The factory Barnes 180 ttsx claims 2750 though I never checked it

56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
was this new or once fired brass

why again does the r700 make too big of a firing pin hole ?? certainly could have a little tighter tolerance there , dont ya think

my guess is so that all new reloaders come make sure they are safe

;)
Funny you mention r700 cause that's what it is. I looked at some factory rounds fire fom this gun and don't notice the ring mark on primer. Don't know if it's anything to be concerned about or not. The mark on case head is at 57.5 gems so I'm thinking I should be ok at 56.5?

56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
I don't think you have a real problem if it were me I would buy a box of lapua brass and rework the load I believe you would have a lot longer brass life the Hornady brass is softer than some of the others

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.