Signs of pressure?

Looks good! Seems like your in a node with the speeds being the same at 56-57 grains. May start adjusting seating depth to see if groups tighten up a bit. How far off are you from the lands?

It would appear to me that you have more going on here. From what I could see in your photo's, it looks like you may have some primer setback. Are you full length resizing, or are you partially resizing to control your headspace. It looks to me that you may have excessive headspace which can give false pressure signs.
Full length
Not best pictures but it doesn't look "cratered". Primer looks flat with normal indent. You could always back down a couple grains or to suggested minimum and compare. I think you are good, but better pics would be helpful
crappy phone

Full length

crappy phone
I would suggest checking your headspace and adjust accordingly. Just about all the manuals can provide you with detailed information on how to do this. The primer look normal otherwise with no sign of excessive flattening. The slight cratering is likely caused by a slightly oversize firing pin hole. You may need to adjust your sizing die. As your velocity is in line with the published data, I really don't think that you are running at excessive pressure. I hope this helps.

I also could not tell from the pictures if the primer itself is "set back". It does look like that somewhat.
Full length sizing die instructions often say to bump the shell holder to the die and then "cam over". These "one size fits all" instructions are just that. They "work" for most instances but are not optimal for extending brass life nor for consistent ammunition.
Not saying your die might be set up wrong but it may be something worth looking into. There are many threads & posts within this forum concerning full length die set up. Simple "scotch tape" tests will help you determine where you are at.
As mentioned above a little extra case head space can give "false" pressure signs.
However, your primers do look mostly normal and your velocity falls where it should your thoughts on charge weight trials between 56 & 57 make sense.
Hornady brass if headspace properly and run at normal pressure will last 10 firings in a lot of cartridges. Hotrodding it will loosen primer pockets prematurely.
Good luck,
Randy

From your pics I would say this to you:
#1, your head spacing is very good. no sharp corners on your primers showing excessive headspace.
#2, slower burning powders can cause the flow back you see on your primers. I have this on my 17 Rem when I was using standard winchester or remington primers. only BR primers would not flow back.
#3, stop using 57 grains of powder. the harmonics are bad at that grainage.
#4, I would use any grainage between 53 and 56 grains if they all shoot 1" groups.
#5, check your breechface for heavy brass wash and stop using any load that has excessively heavy bolt lift.
have fun.

I can be hard to tell from the firing pin indentation depending on the clearance of the firing pin hole in the bolt to the pin. IMO, another indication may be seen if you remove the primer. If it looks like a "top hat" with the primer surface protruding into the case, pressure is likely too high. If the primer body is straight, you are probably OK.

At 136 grains and only 2700 fps with 57 grains something is wrong. The load is way light and slower than book level.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-04-19-38-07.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-04-19-38-07.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 67
I would generally put the hammers as close to a barnes tsx for bearing surface and length when checking book load. Depending on how far you are off the lands, 56-ish is going to be around max and may be compressing. Does the rifle show primer flow/cratering with factory ammo or is this the first time you've experienced it?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.