Sightron

The thing to note of the STAC line is that only the 2.5-17x56 version has the S3 glass while the others have a notch below as reflected in the price, the 2.5-17x is $1200 list while the 4-20x is $750. They are still reliable and great scopes for the money no matter which of the line you get.

As far as glass is concerned yes but 6x as a low power depends on what your needs are. The STAC 2.5-17x is every bit as good as an S3 but with a much lower power range and a 56mm objective which is awesome in low light, but a little on the heavy side for some, but not as much as a NF

I don't have that exact scope but have the S-Tac 2.5-17.5 and an SIII 6-24. Sightron makes a good scope. Both scopes of mine track very well and I've had no complaints with either one. The SIII has better resolution but the glass is very good in both scopes.

I've got three Sightron scopes and will be buying a few more in the next bit. I need a 2-10 for a Win M70 .375 Safari. They all track really well. The lower end scopes don't have the exact track. Stick with the S-Tac and up lines if you need them to track really accurately at long range. I'll get a SIH for a 10/22, and have a SII 4-16 for a .17 Hornet that will shoot squirrels out to 250 yards. These won't be stretched out to 1k like the 6.5 CM and 7mm RM that wear S-Tacs and SIIIs. I really love them.

My oldest Sightron is sixteen or seventeen years old. It needed a quick repair (due to user error... don't ask), and they fixed it quick and at no charge. Sightron is good people. Buy with confidence. ;)

Edit- I see you're looking at the 4-20x50 Stac. I'm buying that scope in the next month, and already have the 3-16x42 MOA. The MOA reticle is very fine and the dot is small. The scope is very clear and bright. Eye box is large and the scope is easy to get behind and use. The 3-16 is a very compact scope for its magnification range. The 4-20 is nearly 2" longer, but it weighs about the same. These are very stout scopes. The tube wall thinckness of the S-Tac line is twice the thickness as the others. The side focus is great and is very sturdy. Clicks are firm and very audible. Can't say enough about this scope... If you want a VX-3 CDS, I'll be putting one up for sale. I need another Sightron.

Last edited:
Because I've had such good results with my two Sightron SIII's (6-24X50 Mil Dot and 8-32X50 MOA2) I recently purchased the S-TAC 4-20x50 with MOA2 reticle and mounted on my Savage 111 LRH 300WM. It replaces a Vortex Viper HS 4-16X50. I've shot it on several occasions at 200 to 600 yds and the clarity is far superior to the Vortex and is on par with my SIII's and it tracks perfectly. My only concern is that it may be difficult to see the reticle in low light when hunting. The S-TAC 4-20x50 can be found for about $450 online.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.