Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

Mine Are SII and I wish they still made the particular models I have. I wish I had the money to outfit all my guns with them.

Ken
I have several SII Sightron scopes 3 are the 6x24x42 one of which is the new Big Sky as much as I like the standard SII the Big Sky is much better.
Is there something you don't like about the Big Sky scope?

James

brocksdad,
What about when you add the components of durability, accurate clicks, returning to zero, and customer service?
In other words the total package?

XP

Durability and adjustment of clicks: Nightforce and Sightron. Both scopes track very well.

Leupold is not noted for shooting the box well.

Customer Service: Leupold and Sightron

To test customer service , I called Sightron, told them I was leaving for a hunt and had a scope that failed. There response was to next day air a scope to my home at there expense, and told me to return the faulty scope when I returned from the trip. It was a call just to test customer service so now I had to come up with a faulty scope. I just sent the one in I took off and they sent me another new one to replace it. Beat that for CS.

Overall Package

1) Sightron

Good CS
Shoots the box well
Very crisp predictable glass

2) Nightforce (pending what grade of glass you get)

3) Leupold

Lacking glass quality
Doesn't shoot the box well
Good CS

Rob

xphunter,

Sightron aptly named their turret adjustments Exact-trac. When performing a box test to test for repeatability and returning to zero, the Sightron scopes will return to the EXACT point you started at. Tested mine and it was spot on perfect. My Leupolds are not nearly as good, in fact I've gotten in the habit of going ahead several clicks then backing up to where I wanted to be, to make them function right. For some reason sometimes they seem to hang up and not move if I'm only going one or two clicks. My Sightron scope has always moved with each click.

Customer service from what I have read, being as I've never personally had to send my scope back, anything wrong with your Sightron scope and they just send you a new one - doesn't get any better than that IMHO.

Durability - I can't see any difference between the Leupold and the Sightron scopes. The Nightforce obviously is beefier and is bound to be a tougher scope, but it weighs twice as much also.

My advice is to either find somebody with all three scopes or go to a local sporting goods store. Most of them will let you walk out the door to compare the three of them in sunlight, which will give you a better real life viewing instead of trying them out under flourescent lighting. Time it for around dusk for a real eye opener. Even inside the store you should be able to see that the Sightron is alot brighter and clearer than the Leupold. I think you'll find there's not a hill of beans difference between the Nightforce and the Sightron, and the Sightron is less than half the price. I have nothing against Nightforce scopes but for what they cost I can own two Sightrons, makes it an easy choice for me.

James,

No, no problems with the SIII. I just bought all of mine before the Big Sky came out. The 4.5 X 14 was bought on a discontinuing close out from McGrafs. They were replacing that model with the Big Sky I believe. I have had the 2 SII 6 X 24s for five or so years. Ones is mounted on my RBA heavy gun bench rig. The other on my 22-250 CZ. The 4.5 X 14 is on my Cooper phoenix in 6.5 X .284. These are the guns that get the most action out of my safe. The Sightrons in general are the way to go. (SUPER CRISP) Folks are right when they say they will return exactly where you started. I have never had one of mine not move. Even when I go 1 click it's dependable and moves. I really like the 1/8 MOA on the 24's. I can get more precise on my zero. I believe one revolution is 7 MOA despite being an 1/8 inch adjustment. I would have to go look for sure.

KEn

XP

3) Leupold
Lacking glass quality
Good CS

NF pending on the grade of glass? They use the same grade glass from one scope to the next. I have not seen one NF that does not have very good glass and I have looked through a lot. There CS is great also one of the best in the BIZ.

Leupold not tacking is not the norm but I have seen one or two that did not track well, again that is NOT common.

I have not used Sightron.

Mike @ CSGW

OK guys , let me run one more up the Flagpole . I see Nikon has just introduced a Monarch 8-32X 50 ED Glass , Sidefocus . Anyone care to compare the Optics of this Nikon vs. the Sightron or Nightforce ??? Bottom line so far is that the Sightron looks pretty tempting IF they have a Reticle I like ! I also have to say thatabout 2 years ago , I was comparing a 8-32X NF BR vs. a 12-42X NF BR at the same Mag. and the 12 looked a lot sharper , but that's the only case where I saw a NF that did'nt impress me with its sharpness .

XP

Durability and adjustment of clicks: Nightforce and Sightron. Both scopes track very well.

Leupold is not noted for shooting the box well.

Customer Service: Leupold and Sightron

To test customer service , I called Sightron, told them I was leaving for a hunt and had a scope that failed. There response was to next day air a scope to my home at there expense, and told me to return the faulty scope when I returned from the trip. It was a call just to test customer service so now I had to come up with a faulty scope. I just sent the one in I took off and they sent me another new one to replace it. Beat that for CS.

Overall Package

1) Sightron

Good CS
Shoots the box well
Very crisp predictable glass

3) Leupold

Lacking glass quality
Good CS

Rob

CSGunWorks only had an issue with part of this post ,I have an issue with the whole thing.
You say that Leupold "Doesn't shoot the box well" that is exactly why I use them is because they DO.
I have one rifle for instance that I have cranked the elevation turret between the 300yd Zero and out to where the turret tops out at past 2000yds at least 100 times and it returns to zero every time (and points inbetween).
While the glass is not perfect I can still see very well out past 2000yds.
If you get close to Utah next summer, lets shoot some box'es.
UB

Tulku,
When I first heard that Nikon had a scope out w/ED glass, I immediately looked it up to see what the specs were on this new scope. When I read 20moa for total internal adjustment, that ended my curiosity. Thats totally ridiculous, I've never even heard of a scope with that little adjustment. Thats all it took for me to lose interest.

Tulku,
When I first heard that Nikon had a scope out w/ED glass, I immediately looked it up to see what the specs were on this new scope. When I read 20moa for total internal adjustment, that ended my curiosity. Thats totally ridiculous, I've never even heard of a scope with that little adjustment. Thats all it took for me to lose interest.

Slymule , wow 20 moa ! Thanks for the info. and to ALL who replied . This is one valuable Site for info . The only Reticle I see listed for the Nikon is the BDC which I'm not real keen on for small Varmints . It has always seemed weird that most Scope Companies in effect lose half their Verticle by not providing Reticles with hash marks ( like the NP-R2 ) in the upper half of the Scope View Field !

Unlce B: you are spot on with your post. I have 3 mark 4's and 3 vx3's and all track excellent. Do you think the military would have used them for the last 12 years if they didn't track, I don't think so! So out of six scopes I have not one ever went back.

UB and Links, I'm not getting into a ****ing match. All I can tell you you is of the 3 scopes mentioned the Leupold line tracks the worst of the 3. No questions asked. I spend many days a year at several ranges. If you click a NF or Sightron 4 clicks, it moves 4 clicks the first shot. Some of the Leupolds will, some won't, probably a 50/50 split. If you have a hard time with this go to some of the other furums and read a bit. You will find out fast that it's not only me that has this problem.

P.S. I still have Leupold scopes.

Rob

Keep in mind, the Mark 4's have dual erector springs, etc, so I would expect more reliable tracking from them than the hunting scopes.

All I can tell you you is of the 3 scopes mentioned the Leupold line tracks the worst of the 3. No questions asked. I spend many days a year at several ranges. If you click a NF or Sightron 4 clicks, it moves 4 clicks the first shot. Some of the Leupolds will, some won't, probably a 50/50 split. If you have a hard time with this go to some of the other furums and read a bit. You will find out fast that it's not only me that has this problem.

P.S. I still have Leupold scopes.

Rob

Appreciate that you were, and are, willing to tell us of your experience with your Leupolds. Obviously they don't all track "perfectly".

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.