What scope? leupold vs sightron vs nf vs???

timeless61

Right now, I have a Leupold mark 4, 6.5-20 on a 338 edge. i would like to move up in power some. i would love a NF, but to be honest i don't think it is in the cards money wise, seems like i would have to sell my scope and then still add quite a bit of money to buy one.

or, what can i get for my scope, and what can i find a NF for?

with that being said, how does a Sightron sIII compare to a leupold mark 4 as far as quality and glass ? any other scopes i should check out?

thanks in advance.

If you like the Mark4 you could try to trade or buy a 8.5-25 Mark4. How much power do you want.

I think you should be able to get around $900 for that scope if its in great shape.

From all the research I have done on different forums the consensus is that NF is the better scope you can buy for a medium price. You can always sell your Mark 4 and use that to help buy a NF. Have you checked the for sale page of the forum? Maybe someone is selling something that might be what you are looking for.

nothing in the classifieds right now.

I guess my problem with nightforce is it will cost me almost double what a new mark 4 would cost me. i hear nightforce is better, but not that that much better and in my eyes definitely not worth close to double the price.

problem seems to be that no one is discounting nightforce, where leupold i can get at a very good price. maybe i will try to find an 8.5-25 mark 4.

from other things i have read, sightron is great for the money, but still isnt at a certain level, is that correct?

I have no experience with Sightron. To my understanding, NF doesn't allow its retailers to advertise a price lower than the factory recommended price. But, if you ask around you might get a few PMs with a price quote in your range.

My experience: Skip the Mark 4 all together. Yes, it has the Leupy name and warranty, but the glass is not worth the price you are paying (equivalent to VX-III). I have a Sightron SII Big Sky and it's glass is better in just about every category then my Mark 4. From what I have read the glass on the SIII is is a step up from the SII BS in every category so I would be willing to take a chance on it, especially for the price (6-24x50mm for $800:D)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts