Sightron SIII PLR series?

pdog06

Anyone here have first hand use and feedback on the 6-24 or 8-32 Sightron SIII PLR?
I just sold an older original model SIII 8-32. Probably shoulda kept it…lol Absolutely excellent scope but was hoping to upgrade to a MOA reticle and something with a zero stop. They do have basically the same scope I had but with an external zero stop, but the PLR has a more normal internal zero stop, illuminated reticle,etc.
I searched here on the forum and only found one negative comment of one failing, but don't want to base a purchase on one review.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard of that much love for the PLR series of Sightron scopes.

I have 3 Sightrons that pretty much run the gammot of their product line.

SI Field Target 4-12X40 AO. MOA2 reticle.

STAC 4-20X50 MOA 2 reticle.

SIII 10-50X60 LRTD. 1/8 clicks.

If you can afford the SVED, you got yourself a seriously good scope!!!

I have an older illuminated S3 8-32-56 that I have had zero issues with and have had an S3 PLR in the same size for 2 years. The ocular bell came loose and started wobbling after a couple of months. Sightron fixed it no questions asked. Come to find out that was an issue when they first released the PLR. Even though I have had it a couple of years I don't have a ton of time on it. It tracks well and the glass is ok. The zero stop works. The illumination control is much better. The turrets and markings are much better. It seems to be a pretty solid scope now after the ocular bell issue. Sightron is amazing as far as customer service. I do think that for the money Sightron is hard to beat.

But, I have a Nightforce SHV 5-20-56 that I like better In some ways. The eyebox and reticle just suits my eyes and needs better. If I had to buy another scope right now I would buy another Nightforce for my needs or take a look at the higher end Sightrons.

One thing I do not like for a lot of scopes out there now is the way the reticle illuminates. I hunt with these scopes as well. Many scopes have very busy reticles and the entire reticle illuminates which is a pain for hunting. It can be confusing and will cause some night blindness from the light. The reticle in my NF and the ones in my Sightron MOA 2s only illuminate the center of the reticle which doesn't tend to blind you in low light. If the entire reticle illuminates it get crossed off my list from the start.

Thanks for the info. I also have had many older style SIII's, in 6-24,8-32,and 10-50. Never had an issue with any of them and still have a couple.
With the PLR having a different turret I just wanted to hear from guy that have used them. I haven't put my hands on one just yet cause my local stores don't carry them and I refuse to go to Cabelas and stand in line for hours just to look at one.
I too have been looking at the SHV NF and the price is about the same, so thanks for your comparison of the two. Im really considering it between the two, but wish it came in a 6-24 or 8-32.

Thanks for the info. I also have had many older style SIII's, in 6-24,8-32,and 10-50. Never had an issue with any of them and still have a couple.
With the PLR having a different turret I just wanted to hear from guy that have used them. I haven't put my hands on one just yet cause my local stores don't carry them and I refuse to go to Cabelas and stand in line for hours just to look at one.
I too have been looking at the SHV NF and the price is about the same, so thanks for your comparison of the two. Im really considering it between the two, but wish it came in a 6-24 or 8-32.
The actual turrets on the PLR are far and above the old style and much more readable With better markings. Glass is about the same As the old S3. I had to send mine back twice. Once for the ocular bell and then again when I had a tracking issue but that proved to be my fault.. the scope checked out fine yet they still offered me another scope or my money back and both times it was back in a week. They have since worked out the issue with the ocular bells coming loose.
I like mil reticles but have had to stay with MOA due to scope choices and illumination that I mentioned. For an MOA reticle the MOAR from Nightforce is very good. The zero stop on the SHV is not as good as the PLR. Also the SHV windage knob is capped but I hold windage most times so no big deal there. Both are heavy scopes. But I like a heavy rifle. Different eye boxes just suit some folks vision better and the Nightforce works for me there. I've had issues with my eyes, astigmatism, and glasses the last couple years which doesn't help matters. They are both good scopes. I do like the looks of the Sightron S6 series but have not looked through one. The PLR may have a slight advantage for me when shooting out to 1000 and beyond due to magnification. I bought both scopes by waiting and catching sales at different stores which amounted to significant savings.

I used to really love Sightron scopes especially their SIIIs 10-50x60s and the last Sightron purchased were the SVIII 5-40x56s then after experiencing my first Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 I got a lot pickier in my future scope purchases.

Then earlier this month received some of the newest Arken EP5s and EPL4s with superb glass even far superior to their older ones and scope buying isn't going to be the same ever again.

I have an older SFP Sightron SIII 8-32x50 which I never even used and I much prefer the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1 MIL-XT instead. It was well worth the extra cost and in fact awaiting 2 more on backorder from their recent sale.

The new Sightron PLR reticles seem way too busy for me and once you go Nightforce NX8 and Vortex Razor Gen 3 then Arken EP5s and EPL4s I think I can be content.

I've never bought the Sightron 6-24x50 SIII even for the $499 blowout sale price at Cameraland last year with the external zero stop like the $1200 5-30x Maven has because a buddy had one and it wasn't nearly as clear nor had perfect tracking as my Chinese Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 I bought on sale for $450.

I await backorder for 2 Arken EPL4 6-24x50s to see how they compare to my Midas Tacs for roughly half the price. If they are close then there's no point in buying any more Athlons.

The Arkens only Illuminate the center portion of their reticles. Razor Gen 3 only Illuminate the cross portion of the reticle not the clutter and IIRC NX8 F1 MIL-XT is the same.

I would only recommend buying the newest Arken EP5 and newest EPL4 4-16x44 and testing the 6-24x50 EPL4s later when I get them. Don't buy the older ones, they may not have as clear glass as these newest ones being sold. The newest ones I just recently bought and received earlier this month are in fact clear all the way to their maximum magnification.

Nightforce NX8 I can also recommend specially the 4-32x50 F1 MIL-XT and some happily willing dealers can even sell you brand new ones for demo prices too if you just call to ask. Best sub $1800x2 no tax if out if their state shipped ever spent brand new and I don't even get LE or Military discount prices either. Be sure to keep your receipt because they only have a limited 5 year electronics warranty which I have yet to hear anyone actually getting charged for repairs past their 5 year electronics warranty from Nightforce.

The Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 with clean reticle is currently still on sale for around $450-ish at EuroOptic and Scopelist. It's the best cheap Chinese scope money can possibly buy and it's actually clearer and has better reliable turrets with perfect repeatable tracking and trouble free compared to many more expensive Japan made scopes such as the Zeiss V4 and Trijicon Tenmile and Sightron SIII (at least the older one with external zero stop).

I wouldn't recommend buying the 5-25x56 on sale for $595 though because we already compared it to my new Arken EP5s and image quality was the same both set at 25x and the Arken turrets are superior. Buy it for the over $150 premium cost if you want to save 9 ounces and have no Illumination.

The cheaper 6-24x50 Midas Tac looked clearer than the 5-25x56 version as well but the EP5 has a noticeably huge eyebox and FOV sight picture than both of them in fact the really huge eyebox and FOV alone in the EP5 is far superior to the Japan made scopes I previously mentioned and is also far superior to the Athlon Cronus and Tract Toric and Meopta Optika 6 too.

Last edited:
Anyone here have first hand use and feedback on the 6-24 or 8-32 Sightron SIII PLR?
I just sold an older original model SIII 8-32. Probably shoulda kept it…lol Absolutely excellent scope but was hoping to upgrade to a MOA reticle and something with a zero stop. They do have basically the same scope I had but with an external zero stop, but the PLR has a more normal internal zero stop, illuminated reticle,etc.
I searched here on the forum and only found one negative comment of one failing, but don't want to base a purchase on one review.

Thanks in advance!
I have had several S3's and S Tac's. All been good scopes. The s3 line is a solid option. I do not have the PLR but overall I cannot imagine it causing me to change my mind about the brand.

I have had several S3's and S Tac's. All been good scopes. The s3 line is a solid option. I do not have the PLR but overall I cannot imagine it causing me to change my mind about the brand.
1 of my favorite reticles and scopes from Sightron was their Mil hash 2.5-17.5-56 in the Stac line. I really wish they still had that reticle and power in their current lineup. It was illuminatEd and a great hunting scope. I had an issue with the parallax and sent the scope to Sightron. They had discontinued the model and offered me an illuminated S3 in replacement. I couldn't argue, it was a pretty good upgrade.

I have 2- 8-32 SII, and 2- 8-32 PLR.
they all have good clarity, the PLR is illuminated, and the turrets feel more crisp. the reticle is a little busy, but once you're used to it is very useful. For the money I believe it is a very good scope.

I've got 2. One on a 6 creed RPR, and one currently not in use. It's a 6-24x50 MOA, let me know if you want it. I don't even know what they are worth right now, make me an offer if you like.

Also have an old style S3 and love it, plus a S-TAC on an airgun that I also like. Never had a Sightron that didn't do what it was supposed to.