Sighting in new Lapua

monkiejohnson

Tried to bore sight my Lapua in today at 50yrds. Couldn't even hit 24"x24" paper! Found my scope base screws a little loose but not much. Could move the base just a fraction. Stupid question; Would this be enough to affect the setup at even 50yrds? Could explain why I had sighting problem with cheaper scope? Will clean up screws and holes tonight and loctite in. Any comments would be great.

Thanks,
David

I'm new as well but have read here somewhere that you should spend as much or more for a scope than a rifle.

Yes, if your scope can move even a fraction, it can cause a miss even at 50 yards. As soon as you discovered things were loose, it would have been my recommendation to stop shooting right then. Fix the problem, then return to shooting.

As for the cheap scope, if you were attempting to adjust the scope from shot to shot, it would have compounded the problem from the loose mount.

What Captain said in another way....when it comes to optics, buy once, cry once. (meaning, buy the best you can get even if it hurt your wallet)

As soon as I found out what the problem was I stopped shooting and went to the house. Removed the scope mount and cleaned all the oil off the matting surfaces and screws. Used some thread lock and tightened all the screws back down. Went back to the range tho evening and was now stacking rounds at 50yrds!!! Crazy how little movement it took of the rail to throw the scope off so much!
BTW the cheap scope was used right when I got the rifle until I got my new scope. I just figured I blew out the cheap scope with the recoil. That's why I never checked the mount. Now I am running a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA so I know it wasn't the scope now.

Thanks for all the replies!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.